Oil pressure problem

Mar 20, 2021
Hello!

I’m new here, driving 2015 Leon 1.2 tsi.
I had to replace an oil pan recently due to the broken plug.
It seemed like an easy task but unfortunately after driving 5km it turned out it wasn’t.
After picking up the car from workshop and driving a little bit I’ve noticed red lamp: oil pressure lamp + beep accompanied by yellow EPC and check engine.
Went back to the workshop and as surprised as they were I left it so they can check it up. Picked up my car this morning, they told me it was an oil pressure sensor issue - apparently it was covered by something and now it’s cleaned up and ready to go.
Apparently not so much - same story after driving short distance again.
Left it in the workshop again and they have no idea what’s the issue so far. Hopefully there’s an update and fix on Monday.
Could it be that they broke an oil pressure sensor while installing new oil pan?
Or any other ideas?

Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Do you know which version of the 1.2TSI engine is in your car?

If it the one with the chain driven cam shaft, which has the turbo at the side nearest the front, or is it the one with the belt driven cam shaft that has the turbo at the side nearest the passenger cabin?

Mar 20, 2021
Do you know which version of the 1.2TSI engine is in your car?

If it the one with the chain driven cam shaft, which has the turbo at the side nearest the front, or is it the one with the belt driven cam shaft that has the turbo at the side nearest the passenger cabin?

Belt driven cam shaft.
EA211 CYVB

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Belt driven cam shaft.
EA211 CYVB
Okay, that blows away my thoughts which were an old/previous O-ring seal being left in the oil filter housing!

I'll be watching what the findings end up being as my wife has a 2015 Polo with the EA211 engine in it!

Mar 20, 2021
Okay, that blows away my thoughts which were an old/previous O-ring seal being left in the oil filter housing!

I'll be watching what the findings end up being as my wife has a 2015 Polo with the EA211 engine in it!
I suggested that possibility at the workshop since I’ve gone trough some posts with similar symptoms and they were aware that such a thing happens sometimes. Unfortunately it was not the case.
There’s no old o-ring there since oil pan is brand new so is the filter.

Thanks for the answer anyways and I’ll keep posting any updates as soon as I know anything new (hopefully on Monday).

In a meanwhile any ideas what could it possibly be are very welcome.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
I's be asking what the garage found blocking the sensor, was it also blocking the oil pickup filter?
What debris could have been introduced just changing the oil pan? Old RTV sealant?

Reactions: martin j.
Mar 20, 2021
I's be asking what the garage found blocking the sensor, was it also blocking the oil pickup filter?
What debris could have been introduced just changing the oil pan? Old RTV sealant?
According to them there was some oil on it. They didn’t mention anything about blocked oil filter. They double checked the o-ring as well.
I also thought it might’ve been rtv sealant and suggested that as well. Can’t think of anything else at the moment.

Thanks for your idea.

Mar 20, 2021
So here’s an update and final outcome (hopefully):

Picked up my car on Monday but - again - the same thing happened. Went back to the workshop and left the car again.
Got a phone call few hours later that they checked everything for the 3rd time and geniuses figured out it’s the oil pressure switch!
They installed a new one and drove for like 50km without a problem.
I’ve been driving since the morning now and no issues so far. Hopefully the case is closed.
So yea, 5 days and 3 comebacks later I can finally drive my car again.
If you end up in a similar situation I hope my experience is going to save you some time and unnecessary stress.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That is annoying, I had the same type of treatment when I had an ABS problem in an older car back in 1992, booked car in because the ABS warning light was on, handed it in then collected it after work, about 100 meters from the garage the ABS light came back on, I U turned and told them I was taking it back next day, same thing, this time I phoned from home and told them it was being handed in next day, same thing, I handed it in the next working day and suggested that they stopped replacing wheels sensors and order in a new controller as I had investigated using an oscilloscope and multi meter and found it was a failed channel in the ABS controller, same thing, both front sensors replaced, each time the workshop manager had test driven this car!! Finally they agreed to replace the ABS controller, I demanded to stay with the car that time as swopping that controller was only a 5 minute job, luckily it was a warranty job!!
We get told that we are dealing with well trained experts - an interesting idea, but not quite correct.

Mar 20, 2021
That is annoying, I had the same type of treatment when I had an ABS problem in an older car back in 1992, booked car in because the ABS warning light was on, handed it in then collected it after work, about 100 meters from the garage the ABS light came back on, I U turned and told them I was taking it back next day, same thing, this time I phoned from home and told them it was being handed in next day, same thing, I handed it in the next working day and suggested that they stopped replacing wheels sensors and order in a new controller as I had investigated using an oscilloscope and multi meter and found it was a failed channel in the ABS controller, same thing, both front sensors replaced, each time the workshop manager had test driven this car!! Finally they agreed to replace the ABS controller, I demanded to stay with the car that time as swopping that controller was only a 5 minute job, luckily it was a warranty job!!
We get told that we are dealing with well trained experts - an interesting idea, but not quite correct.
Very similar situation indeed!
Exactly my thought: I should’ve been there with the car closely looking at their hands and telling them what to do.
It seems like in many cases they think they can sell you any excuse and bs just because they’re the “experts” and they know better.

Reactions: RUM4MO