oil warning light

toledo074

Hi,
I'm new to the site and this is my first posting. I'm looking for some advice, I have a 2.0 Toledo tdi with the DSG gearbox. When I turn on the ignition I get warning lights showing for a few seconds but the oil pressure light does not come on, is this normal with this model or do I need to change the oil pressure switch.
Alan.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm guessing that you have a Mk.3 Toledo, as the 2 litre TDI engine wasn't fitted to the Mk.2's.

I've a Mk.2, so I can only answer in general, but all the warning lights ought to come on briefly when you turn the key as a start-up check to prove the lights themselves haven't failed. So the conclusion I'd draw is that your oil pressure light has failed.

The dashboard lights are all surface-mounted LED's which are not supposed to fail, and they are not meant to be replaceable. A dealer will replace the whole dash, an expensive exercise. The LED's can be replaced, but it's a delicate soldering operation.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
i *think* from memory i looked into this in the past for someone else and found that this was normal toledo074, for some reason seem to remember reading it in some document somewhere, but cant for the life of me remember where. Im not 100% but sure someone else can come on and confirm.

toledo074

Thanks Muttley and SSSTEW,
The car is 07 plate Muttley, but before I got into led problems I'll just put in a new pressure switch first. That sounds like what I think is the case Stew, I know 2 people with the tdi VW passat and both vehicles are the same with no oil warning light showing on start up but I need to find out more. I just recently put a new oil pressure switch into my other vehicle a Land rover defender and it got me thinking about this one.
Alan.

newbs

Aug 22, 2011
goucester
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm guessing that you have a Mk.3 Toledo, as the 2 litre TDI engine wasn't fitted to the Mk.2's.

I've a Mk.2, so I can only answer in general, but all the warning lights ought to come on briefly when you turn the key as a start-up check to prove the lights themselves haven't failed. So the conclusion I'd draw is that your oil pressure light has failed.

The dashboard lights are all surface-mounted LED's which are not supposed to fail, and they are not meant to be replaceable. A dealer will replace the whole dash, an expensive exercise. The LED's can be replaced, but it's a delicate soldering operation.

hi muttley,,soz 2 crash thread,,but i got the exact same car/engine as you, & i got the oil light flashing red,, should i be looking to change the oil pressue switch or the pump?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Just so we can be sure we're all talking about the same indicator, which light is it? use this diagram for reference . . .

Dash.png

The "oil light" (21) flashing red indicates low oil *pressure* and is usually accompanied by three beeps. Continuing to drive, or even run the engine, risks expensive damage.

Causes of low oil pressure include low oil level (but I expect you've checked that already, I would have), blocked oil pickup pipe, failed oil pump or faulty pressure sensor. A blocked oil filter might also cause this, as eventually a valve will open to bypass the filter.

If the oil and filter were changed at the last service interval, then I'd look at the oil pickup first. You have to drop the sump and lose all the oil to do this, but it is fairly common for the mesh strainer on the bottom of the pipe to get clogged.

Apparently this mostly happens if the sump has been removed and replaced by someone who was too generous with the sealer that is used in place of a gasket. This leads to lots of blobs of sealant squeezed out of the joint, which then drop off into the sump and get caught in the strainer.

The oil pump is checked by connecting a pressure gauge to the engine oilways and checking the pressure. It is not a common failure.

The same check will detect a faulty pressure sensor. If they are cheap enough, replacing it may be a quick way to eliminate this as the source of the fault without going to a garage. But I'd check the pickup pipe first.

If it's flashing yellow (or amber) then it's indicating low oil level. If your oil level is good, then the sensor in the bottom of the sump has gone faulty

Last edited:

newbs

Aug 22, 2011
goucester
its 21 m8,,but my m8 said it most proberly the switch so gonna get that changed tomorrow,if that not it,,i get the pump done in the week,,as he said its not that hard to do,,1-2 hrs or so? or is there more to it?
the engine doesent snd rattly either & can you comfirm what our engine code is? is it a ahu 1.9 tdi (x reg)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members