Oil...What to use in your TDI

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
hello,
i have engine code ARL, PD 150/110Kw, and the other day oil light cam one.
cleaned dip stick but seems ok, above minimum mark and nothing for two days.
Oil light came on again this morning, and so popped in to seat stealer who sold me 502.00 / 505.00 (01/97). i did specifically ask for 505.01 as i can't afford engine failure.

checked dipstick before adding and was on the minimum mark, so added 500ml of this to engine.
Now, it is getting full service next weekend, so is this all right for that short time, as i need new brakes as well and just bought new tyres so really low on funds and can't afford engine to die badly on me.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
If it requires 505.01 then you put this in, or 507.00 if you want, nothing else. Oil light also shows low oil pressure, i.e low oil level leaves the pressure low and a warning, a blockage or failing oil pump can also trigger this warning light.

Jan 22, 2007
cheers googies
will get some proper oil tomorrow from vw garage - hopefully they know what they sell....

You think 500ml be ok for a week? - now getting worried over probably nothing

would vag-com pick up low pressure and what would i get garage to look at during servie?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I cant say about Vagcom end as i no nothing about it.... but do tell them that the light came on with a good level of oil in the engine, mention about pressure etc.. I would change the oil, 500ml is a good bit to mix. When is the service?

Jan 22, 2007
service is in 10days (31st jan) and approx 400miles between now and then in commuting to office
will keep an eye on it between now and then and try to add nothing more but yes will tell them and bin the rubbish i was sold.
wouldn't have though 500ml in what, 4ltrs, would do that much damage, can it?

Kash R

hey guys, sorry i havn't been on in a while!
chrisgtl, my engine code is VSS. one of my friends also has a cupra tdi like mine and the exact same thing just happened to him!!!

delaxm

Nov 8, 2006
South West UK
Anyone know the spec

On 'Watson petroleum LSV 5W30' I think its a rebadged Texaco product but unsure if its OK for my PD motor & want to see the spec before I commit.

Jan 22, 2007
On 'Watson petroleum LSV 5W30' I think its a rebadged Texaco product but unsure if its OK for my PD motor & want to see the spec before I commit.

i believe it should have something along lines:
suitable for vw etc
with 505.01 written on it

mine has that info, but was not accurate enough it seems and so praying to the car god all will be nice for a week

delaxm

Nov 8, 2006
South West UK
Right got the spec back from them & it looks like good stuff

OPTIMA LSV
5W/30
Fully synthetic engine oil
Product code: M373

Product Description:

Optima LSV 5W/30 is a new generation fully synthetic super multigrade engine oil formulated using the latest developments in synthetic technology together with the most up to date advancements in additive chemistry setting new standards in engine oil performance.

Optima LSV 5W/30 has been developed to enable outstanding performance to be provided along with effective emission control and full compatibility with emission control after-treatment systems. Low SAPS (sulphated ash, phosphorus, and sulphur) additive technology ensures optimum performance of emission control equipment including particulate filters, at the same time providing long term emission system protection, ensuring a high level of continuous pollution control thereby minimising environmental damage.

Applications:

Optima LSV 5W/30 is particularly formulated to meet the performance demands and requirements of the most up to date Audi VW specifications VW 504.00 and VW 507.00 which encompass high standards of emission control and vigorous high speed styles of driving.

Health & Safety: (Group 1)

Please refer to the relevant health and safety data sheet, a copy of which is freely available to all of our customers

Availability:

Optima LSV 5W/30 is available in bulk road tanker deliveries, 205 litre barrels and 25 litre drums.

Benefits:

• Effective environmental protection
• Ensures lubricant performance over extended drain intervals
• Effective fuel efficiency
• Very high standards of engine cleanliness
• Exceptional long term anti-wear and oxidation stability
• Excellent high and low temperature performance
• Exceptional long term additive response

Product Specification:

ACEA A3, B4
VW 504.00 & 507.00

Typical Test Data:

KV @ 100C (cSt)
KV @ 40C (cSt) 72.3
Viscosity index 160
CCS @ -30C (cP) 6080
Sulphated ash (% /w) 0.60
Flash Point COC (C) 212
TBN (mg KOH / g) 6.00

Issue No: e1 Issued by: D Hall
March 2007 Approved by:

doidge0

if anyones in caridff i can get castrol synthetic oil for a good price i think its 5 / 30 , someone i know is involved with bmw he gets in from the drums so thats if anyone trusts some guy from teh internet with unlabed bottles of oil :p

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Guys can you help!

I have a Leon FR+ 2005 and it had its oil changed about 6000 miles ago and like to keep on top of it, changing it around about this mileage.

What oil do I get from VAG or SEAT exactly?? is it the 506.1 stuff I need for a PD car??

Also can I get a filter for it from VW rather than Seat and if so what car do I need it from???

any help appreciated!

Rich

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
For the standard PD150 engine that you have in the FR+ VAG specify VW505.01 oil, but strangely for the PD160 in the Ibiza Cupra they spec VW506.01 so take your pick.

burnsy_b

FR 170 AKA THE CLANKS
Apr 25, 2009
LEEDS W YORKS
serviced my FR 170 today at work an all i can tell you is it takes quantum 5w 40 not sure on the actual number but its direct from seat as a kit got it well cheap oil, oil filter , diesel filter and air box filter for £45 at a dicounted price.

Danzibar9

DERV POWER
Jan 8, 2008
South Oxfordshire
Carlube 5W40 PD Diesel Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

Carlube Triple R 5w40 PD Diesel fully synthetic engine oil is specially formulated for use in Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda diesel cars and light vans fitted with a Pumpe Duse (PD) engine – specification VW 505.01. The ultimate in engine protection for all driving conditions.
Meets the requirements of VW502.00, 505.00,
505.01, Ford M2C917-A.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.