Oil...What to use in your TDI

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Good info in this thread!

I am looking to buy a tdi 150 which has had vw 505.00 in it for 3 years over 15k. It has been changed twice in that time and is due a service now. Do you think this will have caused damage to the engine?

ps - it was 5/30 oil.

Last edited:

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Without pulling the top apart and having a look at the cam etc you wont know. Do you know what the exact oil was?

I currently run a non PD approved oil in my Cupra TDi 150 but that is only becuase I know what the oil is made from and it is more than upto the job :)

Cheers

Guy.

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I know you can say for certain - but what do you rekon? As a non-expert I would have thought vw 505.00 is close enough to .01?

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Is it possible that some 505.00 would be ok? Its put me off buying the car to be honest!

Its VW brand stuff if that means anything? I can find out more info if that will help?

Really appreciate the help oilman!

Sorry - I've just seen how bad my spelling and typing has been in this thread! I've been reading and typing on my blackberry. Oilman - I will find out the spec of the oil and would be great if you could advise!

Last edited:

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Its probably fine, but I just dont know. The difference with a VW505.01 oil is two things, firstly its antiwear to protect the cam lobe that drives the unit, and then also they have very strong viscosity index improvers to deal the pressures put on it by the oil pump.

Cheers

Guy

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Right, I've spoken to the performance garage who serviced the car - they seem confident the oil they used is fine. This is what they could tell me about the oil:

Genuine VW 505.00 5/30

API spec - SM/CF

ACEA A3/B4

Does that mean anything to you Guy?

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Ok, thanks for the help. I can't decide what to do, apart for the oil situation its a minter and has been serviced less than every 9k, whic means at least the oil has always been kept fresh. What would you do?

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
3month warranty...just enquired about an extended warranty from warranty direct - £400!!

Surely the oil can't have caused a huge amount of damage?

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
My car is due for its oil change.

I have heard that some oils for the PD engine can run quieter than others.

What oil would you recommend, I do some sort runs sometimes but i do sometimes drive the car hard, but once engine is up to temp.

Thanks

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hi

You need an oil that meets the VW507.00 spec.

507.00 - http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-754-vw-50700-oil.aspx

They are all good oils, so make your decision based on any brand/price preference you have. 507.00 oils are backwards compatible as an alternative to the VW505.01 PD oils. As the PD oils are generally a little thicker than the 507.00 oils, engines are likely to be a little quieter, but if the car has a diesel particulate filter, it needs a 507.00 oil.

Cheers

Tim

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Hi again Guy!

I've now laid down a deposit on a 50 thousand miler and the dealer has offered to service the car with whatever oil I like (at my cost). I know it needs to be 505.01, but any particular brand / viscosity?

My main driving will be commuting on a roads then on motorways about 35miles each way. Obviously engine longevity comes first but I would also like a smooth engine and quieter running!

Thanks!

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I'm thinking semi synthetic 5w30? Would that be best for the winter months or is 10w40 best?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.