One month with the car and I'm struggling to find a good driving position. Help!!

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
6ft tall. Tried the seat high and low. Any advice?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Hi, there's a few words of advise in this thread:

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I am having the same problem only a week or so and not really done enough fiddling.. my main problem is the height of the arm rests on door and centre console..

I think I am trying to opt for a higher driving position as that is what i was used to in previous car but then I can't put my arm on door arm. I know you can adjust the arm rest in centre but if you make this higher it looks messy and awkward..

Nothing hugely wrong just not found the sweetest spot yet

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It’s taken me 2+ years to try and find a seating position that feels OK - it’s still not perfect but with countless small adjustments to seat height, fore and aft position, backrest angle, backrest lumbar support, upper seat belt position and steering wheel reach / rake it’s acceptable now. I do have a very longstanding (40 plus years) back problem which doesn’t help the situation, so that probably doesn’t help my quest to get comfortable.

I‘ve never used the arm rests to rest my arms on; with both my hands on the steering wheel at either the ten to two or quarter to three position, my arms are nowhere near the arm rests and if I ever have tried to use them it just feels unnatural and awkward. I always consider the centre arm rest to be more of a padded / upholstered lid for the storage cubby underneath it rather than an arm rest.

Reactions: Richiepoos

Wrighton

May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
6ft2 and it took me a few months to find a decent position.
Game changer for me was getting the steering wheel in the correct position, i.e. pulling it most of the way out.
I have the seat as low as it can go and a fair way back.
Full on the lumbar support with the seat angled back between 5/10 degrees.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Is the seat squab quite short.. ? I hate a short seat squab.. our Mazda6 used to have this problem..

I think to counter act this I need to go lower and more reclined.. Just so used to driving 4x4's it feels a little alien

Dominus

Apr 9, 2023

Most cars are useless for tall folk, 6'4 here and if I get the seat at the right distance for my legs, the steering wheel can't come out enough for my arms. I have to compromise my legs in order to be at the right distance for my arms. Re the seat, I have it very low otherwise I can't rest my arms on the centre arm rest or door rest - the Formentor has the lowest arm rests I've ever known. They must have done their testing in Hobbiton.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022

I'm 1.80 m (5' 11''), found my spot from day 1, easiest ever, best seats ever had, most supportive and most comfortable especially on long trips. Cannot see how one cannot find the right spot, they are outstanding seats. I set it almost all the way down and the back almost at 90 degrees with a little tilt backwards.

Reactions: Hizzards

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm 1.80 m (5' 11''), found my spot from day 1, easiest ever, best seats ever had, most supportive and most comfortable especially on long trips. Cannot see how one cannot find the right spot, they are outstanding seats. I set it almost all the way down and the back almost at 90 degrees with a little tilt backwards.
Car seats are ’one size fits all’ and if two people are a similar height, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll both find the right spot from day one. We’re all ‘built’ differently, and there will probably be some owners who don’t find the seats outstanding and they struggle to get comfortable.

With those two people of the same height - height may be the only common factor; one of those people may have a long body, short legs and long arms the other have long legs, a short body and short arms, and they could also differ significantly in terms of weight and build. There may also be other factors to consider such as medical issues (e.g. back-related problems) that would affect seat comfort, and finding the optimum driving position.

So trial and error and making multiple adjustments to seat fore and aft position, seat height, lumbar support, steering reach and rake and seatbelt upper mount on the B pillar will be necessary for some; others who find that perfect seating position on day-one maybe need to consider themselves fortunate.

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
Most cars are useless for tall folk, 6'4 here and if I get the seat at the right distance for my legs, the steering wheel can't come out enough for my arms. I have to compromise my legs in order to be at the right distance for my arms. Re the seat, I have it very low otherwise I can't rest my arms on the centre arm rest or door rest - the Formentor has the lowest arm rests I've ever known. They must have done their testing in Hobbiton.

That’s not a ‘tall’ problem, that’s a you being out of proportion problem. I’m considerably taller than you and it’s fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pkaps

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Only 10% of men are over 6' and only 1% over 6' 4".
You are likely to struggle with most vehicles, clothes too perhaps if you are in that 1%.
Oddly the Dutch are really tall, must be the low lying land

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Car seats are ’one size fits all’ and if two people are a similar height, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll both find the right spot from day one. We’re all ‘built’ differently, and there will probably be some owners who don’t find the seats outstanding and they struggle to get comfortable.

With those two people of the same height - height may be the only common factor; one of those people may have a long body, short legs and long arms the other have long legs, a short body and short arms, and they could also differ significantly in terms of weight and build. There may also be other factors to consider such as medical issues (e.g. back-related problems) that would affect seat comfort, and finding the optimum driving position.

So trial and error and making multiple adjustments to seat fore and aft position, seat height, lumbar support, steering reach and rake and seatbelt upper mount on the B pillar will be necessary for some; others who find that perfect seating position on day-one maybe need to consider themselves fortunate.
Car manufacturers are not taking into account the whole lot of different size combinations that a man's body may be of. They are working on standard models, normally proportionate etc. If you are falling into one of those categories, being of not of an average height (shorter or taller) or you may have shorter or longer legs or arms or torso or whatever, it is your responsibility to thoroughly test/check/drive the car before buying it as most of us spend quite considerable time in our car and if the seating is not to our standards and liking then the use of the car is somewhat compromised.

dvinell

Jul 27, 2011
6ft 4" and I managed to find a good seating position reasonably quickly.
Lumber support on full whack.
Seat fairly low, not quite all the way back.
Steering wheel almost all out.

The seats aren't quite as good as my Kia Stinger, but still are way better than a lot of other cars out there.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
I'm 6'3" and am a bit of a lardy bugger, it took me about 5 mins to get comfy. But with my fat arse and back-fat, I've got loads of natural padding anyway.

Reactions: Seastormer

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
defo found comfier driving position but taking seat much lower than i perhaps would have chosen.. and am now used to it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.