ooops. petrol in derv

Danzibar9

DERV POWER
Jan 8, 2008
South Oxfordshire
Doh can't beleive i did it. I put £30 of unleaded in my derv leon. Luckily i noticed before i started it and drove off. After a few frantic phone calls if got the number of a company to sort it out for me. They came round in an hour and a half and sucked all the unleaded out. £186 later i was on the road again. £186!!! Be warned, be carefull. Thats all :D

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:headhurt: It's very easily done.Especially if you have a lot on your mind,and are in a rush.
Ford's newest Focus and Mondeo have a system that makes it impossible to fill up with the wrong fuel.Don't know if it's been patented or not.Probably.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
The smell is enough to tell me which is the right one. I am so paranoid about putting unleaded in mine I will check & double check it is diesel. Have yet to mis-fuel a car to date. :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I make a habit of always putting on the plastic gloves when I'm fuelling with diesel. If the filling station has run out then I have a pack in the car. It helps to get in a different routine right away, as soon as I get out of the car. It seems to have worked so far . . .

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
:headhurt: It's very easily done.Especially if you have a lot on your mind,and are in a rush.
Ford's newest Focus and Mondeo have a system that makes it impossible to fill up with the wrong fuel.Don't know if it's been patented or not.Probably.

Yup, it either is the one or very like the one designed by a sucessfull chap on Dragons Den.

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
The system the new Focus and Mondeo use (possibly more) is a filler cap that it's physically impossible for a petrol nozzle to go into - can't remember specifics, but either the petrol nozzle is larger so smaller filler, or petrol nozzle is smaller so requires contact top bottom and sides of the filler cap before it allows fuel in.

T. Spark

ooops indeed! Expensive fill up, I hope you asked for the petrol so you could sell is 2nd hand ;)

RobTheHood

I'm sure top gear did a 'test' or maybe fifth gear about this very thing, and ran the car! Diesel car sothered the most and broke down I think, plus they used older model cars which may actually be more robust than modern engines to the change. Just be careful otherwise expect a big bill:)

Jonboy582

Doh can't beleive i did it. I put £30 of unleaded in my derv leon. Luckily i noticed before i started it and drove off. After a few frantic phone calls if got the number of a company to sort it out for me. They came round in an hour and a half and sucked all the unleaded out. £186 later i was on the road again. £186!!! Be warned, be carefull. Thats all :D
Not like in the old day. My dad did that, then syphoned it out as they sit at different layers. And kept the fuel he syphoned out and the fuel in the engine lol. See now that's free :D