Optimax petrol

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
hi,
i own a lcr and just want to know if i have to run it on optimax what are the benefits for doing this?
and will it harm my car if i do not use it.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
you dont have to run it on it if the car hasnt been remapped, i cant really say youl experience any benefits from running it on a standard car, maybe a fraction better mpg, it will not harm your car if you dont use it

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
mine does about 30 miles more on a tank of optimax compared to cheapy stuff and the difference on pickup is noticable aswell

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Do a search on here mate, before this turns into 20 pages of ramblings.

For my 2p's worth, I do use Optimax. There are people on here who seem to think that the first time they fill up with 'the good stuff', their car will turn into a rip snorting monster, it changes gear faster, the turbo whistles louder and they suddenly get torque steer in 5th. None of these will heppen.

After 2-3 tanks you might notice a slight improvement in smoothness, or it might feel a little more keen, but thats it.

Running it on a decent regular unleaded will do it no harm either. Your ECU will sort it all out.

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
I usually run on Optimax but last night ran out of fuel and couldnt make it to nearest Shell so it was Asda's finest U/L 87.9p/L for me.

But seriously in my std FR I havent noticed the difference in mpg or performance ..do you think its all in the mind ? ;)

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I do notice the difference running with Optimax on my V5. However, it does take a while for the ECU to adapt whether switching to or from Optimax. On the two occasions I let the tank get low and couldn't get Optimax the car ran like a dog and seriously hesitated from cold.

It does hurt the pocket a bit but performance is better for me, and hopefully the engine is benefitting. Means when I'm elsewhere in the country the Shell garage POI's on my sat nav unit are an essential.

langleycuprablk

i use tesco super unleaded 99ron. i have to because of remap.:O) i have noticed the difference... wants to go a bit more!!

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Even before I modded my R I noticed a difference running Optimax. The biggest difference was in how the engine sounded - much, much smoother on Optimax, it just seemed happier than with any other unleaded / super unleaded.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members