original tyre size?

KEEPitSTUPID

HI all, hate starting a new thread when i havent made a post, im not using your knowledge honestly :) i have searched allover and nobody has asked this stupid question.

i have a Seat leon diesel cupra, im currently on with changing the wheels, for some BBS CHBE's im plus sizing to 18" so using tyre calulators cant find a good tyre size to maintain my current rolling radius. thats where the stupid question comes in, i recently bought the car and it has 225/40/17's on. should the originals be 225/45/17's? this works out better when i plus size to 18" as 225/40/18 has nearlly an identical rolling radius

thanks people, sorry had to post new thread for that, cant trust some info sources thats all. need a good opinion.

stevei'D

Jul 22, 2008
The correct size for 17" is 225/45/17, so you have the incorrect size on at the moment, no big deal will just knock the spedo out a bit. Therefore the correct and or is spec for 18" is 225/40/18 as fitted to the cupra R.

Steve

KEEPitSTUPID

great news! thank you, will order the wheels now :) when i was doing the calculations from 40mm to 35's it wasnt quite right, then 45 to 40 is near enough perfect,

thanks again

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It's actually quite a decent question. My Toledo came with the Cupra 17's on it, but the previous owner had put two DIFFERENT sized tyres on there, with a wider track on the back. I had to go to the SEAT dealer and ask them what sized tyre should be on there by default, and got them all changed within a month of owning the car.

225 45 17 is what I have on there now.

KEEPitSTUPID

ahh good thats another opinion, just i expected the car to be correct, then that becomes your guage of what you expect, so when that was wrong i was lost, going to start looking at tyres now, theres loads of old threads on tyre choice ill have a look through there, do you think refurbing the original wheels in black is a good idea for winter driving?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
ahh good thats another opinion, just i expected the car to be correct, then that becomes your guage of what you expect, so when that was wrong i was lost, going to start looking at tyres now, theres loads of old threads on tyre choice ill have a look through there, do you think refurbing the original wheels in black is a good idea for winter driving?

If you are going to get your wheels refurbed, you could perhaps combine it with getting the new tyres. If you get your tyres mail order from somewhere like camskill, then get them refitted by the refurbishers, your wheels will come back with everything done and you won't need some muppet at kwik-s*it potentially ruining your brand new powdercoat.

As for the colour, go for one that complements the car. I was tempted by black wheels, but on a black car they dissappear which isn't the best thing.

KEEPitSTUPID

ahh rite, makes sense, i seen that website on a few other threads i was reading, seem to never put a foot wrong, mmm maybe a matt black or graphite? ive got the gunmetal coloured cupra, but im going for the dark look. I know what your saying with the black on black, theres a few golfs like that round near me, if there the slightest bit dirty the car loses its look. Another top tip, thanks again

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise