Overheating - Blockage or Head? FIXED!

Mike_08

meh.
Jun 29, 2009
Birmingham, West Midlands
Temp keeps going up
Coolant way over the MAX mark and boiling
Bleeded the rad to find an epic amount of air came out but even when it's all gone there still seems to be air in there

Any ideas guys? Just a block in the pipes or head on the way out?

Mike

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Does the coolant look at all contaminated?

I'd be wondering about the water pump - when was it last done and is it a plastic impellor one (OEM)?

Mike_08

meh.
Jun 29, 2009
Birmingham, West Midlands
All parts are OEM yes, Could'nt really tell about the coolant as it was last night. It seems like it's just getting pushed back out the pipes back into the bottle then boiling

Edit: Was going in for full service today but not risking driving it

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
If you rev it can hear the water pump? Thats how mines when on my audi, dont drive it if you do, keep the heaters on full blast on hot.

do you fan kick in by chance?

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Whats the milage?
Do you when the cambelt was done previously & who by?

My bet is the water pump mate- its a common problem for the plastic impeller to break on the OEM ones.

I had exactly the same symptoms, would be fine for 5mins then shoot to the top.

I doubt it would be the head / head gasket... they most commonly use water and throw it out the exhaust as steam.
They can happen in reverse though, where they push exhaust gas through the gasket into the cooling system, the quick way of testing would be to carry out a "sniff" test -- I seriously doubt this though.

Cuprajohn

The Cupra Kidd
Feb 24, 2007
Isle of Lewis
if it will idle forever without overheating but overheats under load (driving) its the waterpump, at idle the secondary pump manages to keep the water circulating enough

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise