overheating problem

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
i all, i have recently purchased (yesterday) a mk3 cupra. driving it up from newcastle, i got to edinburgh, then the temperature guage started goin mental.

when the car is driving the temp guage is goin up2 100 plus, then when stopped it goes bak to running temp.

so i got the car picked up from edinburgh, and taken to aberdeen (which wasnt cheap). on getting a mate to speak to a mate with a cupra. his was doin the same with the water pump broken. is it worth replacing the pump with a metal impellar'd one and the switch? also at the same time, the timing belt would be getting done.

how much am i looking at for parts?

ps it has done 36k.... which i thought was a bit short life of the water pump?

oh well rant over, all in all, i am very impressed with the car (from newcastle to edinburgh). and loved the smooth power (i have went from a 1.1 106).

cheers for any help given etc?

dav

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Normally when the temp sensor is faulty it goes up and down but does not exceed the normal running temp. When the water pump fails it normally overheats during normal off boost driving and cools once you stop driving. When the fuse holder fails it normally overheats and when you stop it continues to overheat until you turn on the in car heater to full and push the fuses home on top of the battery in the fuse holder or you replace the fuse and the fan kicks in. Your aircon wont work when the fuse holder/fuse is knacker as well.

These are only my findings and from what i have seen 1st hand or read.

I would say your water pump has failed.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
yeh, the air con was working. that was my first checks, the fuses (which were ok) then the water level (once again ok). the fans only came on once whilst driving (so it was overheating at that point). but at standstill the fans only came on when i switched on the air con.

i have a few other niggiles with the car also, the window switch seems to be broken, and the hazards dont work. but first ov all i ncar need the car running.

it will be a great car when it is goin again.

cruising03uk

street sleeper
May 10, 2006
north london
same problems wit overheating and fans not working. no fault codes on vag com test and as soon as i get goin the car returns to normal temp only overheats in traffic??????????

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
to highjack this thread mine has started overheating in the last couple of days, aircon would switch on but wasnt as cold as it should be, i thought it might be the fuse panel but checked the voltage post fuses and it was all fine, only overheats after about 20mins of driving either on hard or off boost, makes no difference, switching it off brings it back down within 90 degrees after 5mins?

any suggestions?

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
davidol said:
to highjack this thread mine has started overheating in the last couple of days, aircon would switch on but wasnt as cold as it should be, i thought it might be the fuse panel but checked the voltage post fuses and it was all fine, only overheats after about 20mins of driving either on hard or off boost, makes no difference, switching it off brings it back down within 90 degrees after 5mins?

any suggestions?

fuse holder breaking down under load. for the sake of £30 and 30mins time i would change it.

Recently a car caught fire due to a faulty fuse holder, i would just fit a new one and rule it out.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
have you ever had your water pump done? i didnt expect mines to be a water pump but it was. i could drive mine hard or soft it didnt matter it still overheated.

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
i dont think the car has had the waterpump changed, deffinately not since ive owned it anyways

the fuses appear to be allowing current to flow though, breaking down under load, can you expand on that comment?

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
davidol said:
i dont think the car has had the waterpump changed, deffinately not since ive owned it anyways

the fuses appear to be allowing current to flow though, breaking down under load, can you expand on that comment?

when mines was overheating, the fuses were all checked and the connetors were checked and were ok! then a vagcom test was dont by a mate of a mate - nothing (should have shown up the coolant temp sensor) but was ok... so went ahead and fitted the waterpump, tensioner, belt.

when removing the pump, found the impeller to bee free wheeling

if you have access to vagcom - try it
if not - iwould maybe advise it

gus

Jun 27, 2006
over heating!!!!!

hi guys rather new to the seat furom and picked up my seat ibiza cupra yesturday and guess what on the way home the temp gauge satrted to creep past the 90mark,!!!!!!!ahhhhhhhh!!!!

i put on the heater and it was only givng out warm air when on cold the fans arent going on even when the temp went very high,
ive checked all the fuses so dont no wat to do next,
any suggestions,??????.....

many thanks gus

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
gus wrote

hi guys rather new to the seat furom and picked up my seat ibiza cupra yesturday and guess what on the way home the temp gauge satrted to creep past the 90mark,!!!!!!!ahhhhhhhh!!!!

i put on the heater and it was only givng out warm air when on cold the fans arent going on even when the temp went very high,
ive checked all the fuses so dont no wat to do next,
any suggestions,??????.....

Overheating + no hot air out of heater = look at coolant level! Sounds like low coolant, because it doesn't fill the heater matrix when it's low, so you can't use that as an extra radiator. Check it first thing, it's easy to add coolant and still drive it until the dealer/servicer can look at it and it will save the engine from further damage.

Fans not going on could be the same thing, no coolant at the fan sensor, or they could be the problem, knackered fans or fan controller. Easiest way to test, put 12v across the fan terminals, if they spin then reconnect and try putting the fan temperature sensor in hot water.

VAG-com should give enough information to isolate the fault.

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
bloody hell everyones suffering from overheating this month arent they! still havent resolved mine!

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
Bump

Mines overheating now, this after 3 years of trouble free driving unall:(

think its the fuses/holder but they seem fine to me! don't think its the water pump again as this was replaced a good while ago for the metal impellor type, although my AC aint very cold.

Ibiza Cupra

Bump

Mines overheating now, this after 3 years of trouble free driving unall:(

think its the fuses/holder but they seem fine to me! don't think its the water pump again as this was replaced a good while ago for the metal impellor type, although my AC aint very cold.
ever had the AC regassed, that makes a huge difference. £ years trouble free on an ibiza cupra???? You are one lucky basterd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had more trouble in 3 months!!!!!

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
ever had the AC regassed, that makes a huge difference. £ years trouble free on an ibiza cupra???? You are one lucky basterd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had more trouble in 3 months!!!!!

shame you wern't about in 2003 as I owned the SEAT problems board :blink:

Think the ac not operating very well is linked to a dodgy fuse holder....looks fine to me though (sparky by trade). AC was regassed earlier this year:)

captain chaos

Apr 28, 2004
livingston
i own LCR which up to now 2 years old 30 000 on clock is working great :clap:
fingers crossed touch wood bla bla bla.
but day from hell today[:@] with wifes octy vrs same engine lower bhp temp gauge went haywire and warning lamp on, quickly droppped down once parked on hard shoulder but as soon as car put underload temp shoots way back up.[:@]
AA called and get this wouldnt tow car until fault proven so had to risk boiling engine to prove a point.:wtf:
Eventually towed to dealer for remedy and they have diagnosed faulty coolant pump. impeler :( suposedly seperates from pivot/axel.
how much to repair,i hear you ask,well including service and new cambelt as its due shortly and it would be foolish not to just get it all done at same time,£600 please.:-o :censored:
bit steep for a car only 50 days out of warranty, though dealer is trying to see if skoda will make a goodwill gesture and help out a bit will keep you posted. but is this what i have to look forward to with my LCR

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise