Overheating warning message issue

Sep 4, 2022
Hi all, really struggling to fix an overheating issue on my 2016 2.0tdi Leon, wondering anyone has seen it before.
Very intermittently and usually at temperature (but not always) a audible beep and red warning message appears on the cluster saying "Engine overheat, Stop!". See photo / video below. As the the fault clears almost instantly, there is no fault code stored (used three different readers). Even more annoying as I have warranty with the car but they are not willing to replace any components without proof of the fault code.
Extra detail: The coolant and oil temp reading doesn't change when the fault flashes on. It happens in all gears / speeds even stationary and idle. Sometimes feel a dip or loss in power as it happens. Fluid levels all good.

Thanks in advance, any hep is massively appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0481.PNG
    IMG_0481.PNG
    496.3 KB · Views: 184

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Faulty coolant temp sensor? When my 2014 TDI did that, my water pump was on the way out. However, my water temp was off the chart, whereas yours is not. I did have my temp sensor replaced as well just to be sure but not sure it was needed.

The water pump was working intermittently and it was hard to diagnose. Only really did it under load, whereas yours suggests it's an erronoeous warning if it does it when idling? Could be restricted/hot coolant triggering the sensor? Not sure.

Do you think that it's putting you into LIMP mode, hence the power loss?

If your temp sender is kaput, I'm not sure why it gives an overheat but the dash reading stays `normal`. That does not make sense. Does the car appear/smell `hot` when it happens. You open the bonnet and you can tell it's super hot.

I got something similar to this and checked all hoses, particularly either side of the water pump and t/stat to see if I had any `cold` hoses that should be hot. Maybe help narrow it down.

I don't know if that's helped at all.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise