P11A100 fault. Camshaft adjustment actuator fault.

billman

Dec 20, 2009
Hello to all. I noticed recently that I had a camshaft adjustment actuator fault. P11A100 fault. The problem is located on all 8 actuators even after a fresh oil and oil filter change, if its supposed to make any difference. I can clear the faults with obd11 but after a few days they will appear again while scanning. No check engine faults appear on the car. I find it quite odd all 8 actuators are having a fault and I believe something else is causing the fault. Anyone can help?

Camshaft adjuster A cylinder 1
Fault P11A100
Camshaft adjuster A cylinder 3
Fault P11A900
Camshaft adjuster A cylinder 4
Fault P11AD00
Camshaft adjuster A cylinder 2
Fault P11A500
Camshaft adjuster B cylinder 1
Fault P11A300
Camshaft adjuster B cylinder 3
Fault P11AB00
Camshaft adjuster B cylinder 4
Fault P11AF00
Camshaft adjuster B cylinder 2
Fault P11A700

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello there,

this seems to be a common problem on VAG engine's when the actuator/s fail it'll normally bring on the engine EPC warning light, but not always depends how warn out i.e if close to specific set tolerances they are.

Known symptoms are down on power,
hesitant throttle response.

Have you removed or touched anything close to the 8 actuators, they each normally have a two pin connector plug.
Could be a wiring connection fault including connector plug/s not on enough. Or ECU problem/fault.
The actuators also might be in communication with cam position sensor & crank sensor via ECU to obtain correct operation of variable valve timing.

You're either one of the unlucky ones and all 8 actuators are failing, or possibly your diagnostic tool isn't fully compatible if one of the cheap ones, so isn't able to pin point the actuator at fault ??

Have you any warranty left on your car,
if so get in touch with your local SEAT Main Dealership.

I'm sure you know this anyway but if not,
the 8 actuators in question are situated at the back of engine on exhaust side, they go through valve cover should be 2 actuators per each cylinder on 4 cyl engine, hence yours having 8 actuators.

Photo below of a similar engine set up to yours.
Blue arrow shows inlet side.
Red arrow shows exhaust side.
Green dots show each of the 8 actuators.

I think the actuator closest to the cam belt or timing chain on it's own is 1A next to that is 1B then 2A, 2B and so on.

I think each actuator is held in place by a T25 torx bolt ?

Hope this helps
Si

Attachments

• s-l400~2.jpg
    s-l400~2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 8,571
Last edited:

billman

Dec 20, 2009
Hello. Thanks for the answer. Yes I know where the actuators are. No warning light. I found it after random scanning with OBD11 and the dealer also found the same codes after scanning the car, while I had my service done last week. No warranty left and I believe the dealer had no clue as to what may have caused the errors. In the following link on the same problem it appeared to be an electrical problem of a different part but on the same electrical circuit. Does anyone know where I can find electrical diagrams so I can check it?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello. Thanks for the answer. Yes I know where the actuators are. No warning light. I found it after random scanning with OBD11 and the dealer also found the same codes after scanning the car, while I had my service done last week. No warranty left and I believe the dealer had no clue as to what may have caused the errors. In the following link on the same problem it appeared to be an electrical problem of a different part but on the same electrical circuit. Does anyone know where I can find electrical diagrams so I can check it?

Have a look through the workshop manual links that have been uploaded by Paddy6789
As there might be wiring diagrams in there ? If not then you'll need to get a Haynes manual or similar as that will definitely have wiring diagrams then.

I'm sure the camshaft actuators need some kind of reference signal from ECU, I think it gets this from the cam position sensor and possibly crank position sensor, to aid correct operation of actuators.
I think there's only 2 wire's to each of the 8 actuators, one single colour wire which is power, and one striped coloured wire which will be the variable trigger wire, possibly switchable earth to & from ECU.

Hope this helps
Si

billman

Dec 20, 2009
Ok so I managed to find the appropriate engine wiring diagram for me (CJXA), from the workshop manuals that paddy6789 had uploaded.
It seems that from fuse panel B and fuse 16 (20A), it goes through J757( engine compartment current supply relay), then goes to N70 (Ignition coil 1 with output stage), N127 (Ignition coil 2 with output stage), then goes to N532-N533-N534-N535 (Second set of injectors, cylinders 1-4 respectively) and finally goes to F366-F367-F368-F369-F370-F371-F372-F373 (Actuators 1-8 for camshaft adjustment).

So I just have to check the 2 out of 4 ignition coils, the second set of injectors and all the camshaft adjustment actuators including of course all of their connections. :oops:

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Ok so I managed to find the appropriate engine wiring diagram for me (CJXA), from the workshop manuals that paddy6789 had uploaded.
It seems that from fuse panel B and fuse 16 (20A), it goes through J757( engine compartment current supply relay), then goes to N70 (Ignition coil 1 with output stage), N127 (Ignition coil 2 with output stage), then goes to N532-N533-N534-N535 (Second set of injectors, cylinders 1-4 respectively) and finally goes to F366-F367-F368-F369-F370-F371-F372-F373 (Actuators 1-8 for camshaft adjustment).

So I just have to check the 2 out of 4 ignition coils, the second set of injectors and all the camshaft adjustment actuators including of course all of their connections. :oops:

Yes I'd definitely check all plug connections first, as that can result in intermittent faults, if they're found to be loose or damaged.
This is a strange one though that it's not bringing on your dash engine light.

Si

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.