Pads worn, only dealer can change them?

ando

Mar 25, 2005
homepage.eircom.net
Hey,

My brake pads are worn on my Cupra R 2003 so Im going to buy pads myself and then get someone to fit them (well thats the plan). Last time I did this, I was told I had to goto a main dealer because they were the only ones that had the tools to fit the pads to the Brembo's... Is this statement true or was I just talking to an idiot!?!

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Ha ha ha, that's the funniest thing I've read all day! They're really quite simple to change when you know how. There are loads of guides on here, do them yourself and save a fortune!

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
As above mate change mine myself last yr. The rears are a bit of a problem as you need a piston rest tool. Think there's a step by step guide on here somewhere for changing Brembo pads

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
As above mate change mine myself last yr. The rears are a bit of a problem as you need a piston rest tool. Think there's a step by step guide on here somewhere for changing Brembo pads

I agree, sometimes it's called a windback tool but that mite just be a slang term or a simpleton's name for it. Do redstuff have a version for the lcr as I have them on my lc. Mmmmmm ceramic and Kevlar woven :)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I had red-stuff front and rear on EBC discs. The front pads are now DS2500 though. Red-stuff still on the rear. Hear a lot of bad-stuff about them but I actually liked them

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
Ye they seem to be ok I find, I had the green stuff on my last car with black diamond disks and to be honest they were even better. But I think that was more down to the pads than the disks. My neighbour runs his on 400bhp with no probs but the way they calculate the right pads is wrong in my opinion. Should be by weight of car and not power out.

Last edited:

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
You dont need any tools to push back the pistons just use the old brake pad and a large screwdriver/wedge to push them back in and take out the pad. After you knocked the pins out of course!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.