Paint damaged by Petrol???

shep1984

Afternoon All,

Looking for some advice / suggestions.

I had the car washed today and below the petrol cap on the dumper what looked like dirty water running down the bumper has not come off.

I have tried to polish this away with a cloth / wax (all i had one me) but to no avail. The only thing that i can think of is that its Petrol. I filled up the other day and the pump didnt cut out properly leaving my hand and by the looks my car covered in Petrol.

Can you guys suggest any way to remove the stain / repair the paint. I have some TCut in the house so might try that later...

Any other suggestions or is it a respray job.

Cheers

Alex.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
A picture would be good.
This shouldn't happen after one time if your car is well waxed.
If your car is well waxed and clean, throw a bucket of water over that side of the car.
It will be obvious if your wax has been removed by the petrol.

JoeV

Apr 28, 2008
Chester
Its suprising that the petrol has stained, but something like super resin polish should easily get it off.

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
Techincally you can't polish with WAX. Inorder to polish you're going to need some polish ie t-cut (which imo too harsh).

In very simple terms

Polish = cleaning
Wax = Protecting

Ideally you should polish your car then always wax or seal after.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Considering most polishes contain petrol (it helps remove sticky substances) I doubt it'll help.

Are you sure its petrol causing the problem and not just water under the lacquer?

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
Considering most polishes contain petrol (it helps remove sticky substances) I doubt it'll help.

Are you sure its petrol causing the problem and not just water under the lacquer?

They also contain abrasives which break down with rubbing hence their ability to remove haze / very light scratches. I think it will help, but I guess we'll find out after he tries the t-cut.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.