parking dinks

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Quoted from Crafoo earlier in thread

How many times have you heard someone say "I don't care it's not mine" (not just relating to cars but anything) people by and large do tend to care less about something that isn't actually theirs and aren't always as careful.

I do this at scrapyards but that's about it :p

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Leave the kids at home, rather than dragging them to the supermarket, annoying everyone else in the process. There never used to be parent and child spaces, and I always managed to get in the car and put my own seatbelt on..

But you getting in a car and putting your own seatbelt on is a bit different to having to stand outside the car and put a toddlers seatbelt on, isn't it?

Leaving kids at home is not a viable option for many people. If your other half is at work and grandparents live hours away, you'd leave your kids in the house by themselves? Or pay extortionate amounts of money for them to be looked after?

I have no issue with parent and child parking spaces. I do, however, wonder why the parent and child spaces have to be directly in front of the building. They aren't disabled and therefore could be placed further away from the building. This would also deter people from using them who shouldn't. If the appropriate walkways/zebra crossings were in place I don't see why they wouldn't be at the back of the car park.

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014
I'd wait until the other half was back from work then go.

They're at the front because families but more food than singles and convenience makes it more likely that they'll use the shop with spaces closest to the door.

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
But you getting in a car and putting your own seatbelt on is a bit different to having to stand outside the car and put a toddlers seatbelt on, isn't it?

Leaving kids at home is not a viable option for many people. If your other half is at work and grandparents live hours away, you'd leave your kids in the house by themselves? Or pay extortionate amounts of money for them to be looked after?

I have no issue with parent and child parking spaces. I do, however, wonder why the parent and child spaces have to be directly in front of the building. They aren't disabled and therefore could be placed further away from the building. This would also deter people from using them who shouldn't. If the appropriate walkways/zebra crossings were in place I don't see why they wouldn't be at the back of the car park.

The main theory for doing it this way is so that children don't have so far to walk thus less chance of being hit by a rogue car or similar.

Disabled spaces generally are placed closer to the store entrances as they should be (certainly in our town the disabled spaces are closer to the doors than parent / child)

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Personally I feel everyone should pay for parking no exceptions, you have a car, you are taking up a space, you should pay for the time you are in that space.

Charge everybody or charge nobody.

I agree on that tbf.

They can afford to get a car but get to park for free!! I don't understand it.

My grandma had a blue badge because she couldn't walk very far and wasn't very well, doesn't mean she should get free parking!

Mar 22, 2012
South east
I bet all the people complaining about parent child car parking spaces don't have children. It's pretty difficult trying to get the car seat out when parked in a regular space. Plus how could you leave a young child at home alone whilst you do your shopping? Personally I think the people that do the most damage are fat lazy people who can barely manage to fit between the cars let alone get in. Ban all fat people from carparks!

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Don't forget cars have got a lot bigger over the years, you used to be able to open your doors in a normal space

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Bottom line for me is if everyone took the time/care/attention to park in the middle of their space, we wouldn't have this issue.

Size of cars these days vs the size of the average parking bay nope dont think so

I love the parking at our costco :)

t121anf

May 14, 2004
I don't know which part of this statement is the worst, saying you're happy to damage another persons property because they have parked in a parent/child space without a child on board, or in the very next breath saying you'd park in a disabled space if you didn't have your child with you.

Obviously people with kids (that have them with them or not) are far more needy of a space next to the door than someone in a wheelchair :whistle:

I personally have never and will never use a disabled space or parent and child space unless I am ever in the circumstance where I am eligible to do so, hopefully I'll never find myself in either position :)

The spaces are there for a reason and it does infuriate me when I see someone use the space with no valid reason, just boils down to a lack of respect for others and being completely bone idle.

I didn't at any point say I WOULD take a disabled bay, I said I'd RATHER take a disabled bay. Honestly come watch the people using my local supermarkets and see how many of them NEED a blue badge.

I have 0 problem with wheel chair users etc needing a blue badge, close family friend is in one.

My wife was given a blue badge when she had chemo, ok she wasn't fighting fit but she didn't need a blue badge and often refused to allow us (her with me) to use it legitimately as it was unnecessary to do so.

F1DAN

I think the child car parking spaces are great.... keeps the little brats well away from my car as i park as far away as possible from them lol :p

Seriously though, I do sometimes have my little nephew in the back and getting him in and out the child seat can be difficult at times, I normally have my sister with me though so she gets him out whilst I'm holding the door so it doesn't go banging off some wall or the car next to us.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
And apparently the spaces are big enough... Bear in mind the defender is actually a pretty thin car too!
paja9u2a.jpg

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
And apparently the spaces are big enough... Bear in mind the defender is actually a pretty thin car too!
paja9u2a.jpg

This pretty much sums it up!

When new car parks are made or old car parks re-marked they add spaces. This has got to be a money related trend. The shops, car park owners and local councils make more money. The flip side is you make less because you have to pay for more repairs to your car.

So you have cars getting bigger and spaces getting smaller. The inevitable conclusion here is more dented cars, regardless of how well you park.

I used to take a photo on my phone of the cars either side of mine in case I returned to damage but realised it was pointless - what would I do if I did come back to damage? Even with a pic its them against you.

Maybe we should start a SEAT only park and ride service? :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise