Parking Sensors

Shugmonkey

Hi,

my parking sensors aren't functioning correctly.
When switched on, either manually or by engaging reverse they emit a long beep then nothing. The switch lamp flashes on and off.
I've checked the fuses, there appears to be two, one for front one for back.
When I removed them the switch still worked and the beep was still there, do you think I removed the wrong fuses?

Any help appreciated

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
you can check the operatio of the sensors by listening to them! as they pick up an obstical apparently they tick! the ticking noise means they are ok, check each one indivually by placing you finger over them
and depending on the year of your vehicle the rear control box is under the front passenger seat and is prone to getting wet!

Shugmonkey

Finally got round to checking this out and found that one of the front sensors wasn't clicking. Swapped it for one that was working and the fault remained in the same position, so must be the control box that's faulty.

Nothing obviously wrong with the box so I guess I'll try and get one from the scrappy.

As the box appears to control the alarm, central locking and parking sensors, does it mean I'll have to get my keys reprogrammed?

Cheers

Jason

Shugmonkey

I've spoken to 2 dealers who said they'd never known a Control box to fail, so I was beginning to doubt it was that, it's good to hear someone else has had a problem (sorry, good for me, not you obviously)

Jason

the central locking/alarm box and the parking sensor ecu are seperate items, although both can be found under the front passenger seat cubby hole, if you swapped a known working sensor for a duff one and it still showed the same fault! check the condition of the looms to the sensors, these vehicles are well known for having crap quality wiring that fails with age!

Shugmonkey

I could only see one box, mounted to a metal plate with the buzzer attached.
There were 3 wiring looms going in/out, and I disconnected the one closest to the drivers seat to stop the whining everytime I put her in reverse.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
i think on all alhambras after 2000 its only the parking sensor ecu under the seat but this area was still prone to water leaks, causing units to fail. sure dealers never admit to any model faults lol ;-) also check for corroded wiring loom pins or a slight milkiness in any of the sensors, water can get into these as well.

Shugmonkey

It's a 2003 model, so probably only the parking sensor unit then.

zacknolden

Apr 23, 2008
If the beeper sounds every time you apply the brake, then the power of the two front sensors has been incorrectly connected to the +12 from the brake. Please connect the long red wire (for the power of the 2 front sensors) to +12V from the ignition, NOT to +12V from the brake. The front sensors of the system is NOT designed to be powered by +12V from the brake.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.