Patiently waiting - microchip shortage

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Surpised there's not more talk about the impact of the chip shortage! Martorell is working "hand to mouth":
https://www.ft.com/content/de519d34-c1cc-4c5d-9547-7af2b268a541

Anyone else patiently waiting like myself for a build date? Perhaps more patiently than me :p is anyone following this story day by day for updates like me?

(I ordered April 23rd via lease broker, although the actual car was already on order with a dealer before I took the slot)

I was told to expect July then August, but with no build date as yet it could be much longer I fear

Also interested to know how long the most recently delivered vehicles took from order to delivery?

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
All brands are suffering from this problem. I read on pistonheads forum, that BMW cars will be coming without some options (Harman Kardon, comfort access and wireless charging) due to this. And I think Jag reduced production. First Covid and logistics issues, now shortage of parts ... what's next?

Last edited:
Reactions: butterycrumpet

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
This is my first brand new car on a lease, I've always had either ex-demo cars or stock-brand-new cars. Never had a factory order before, let alone one via a broker! so hard to be patient!

tedman

May 11, 2021
Dorset
Yep, ordered mine a few weeks ago for lease and no build week allocated so far. My current lease is going back in September... might need to get an old banger to tie me over for a few months..?

Reactions: butterycrumpet

Scotby

May 19, 2021
Surpised there's not more talk about the impact of the chip shortage! Martorell is working "hand to mouth":
https://www.ft.com/content/de519d34-c1cc-4c5d-9547-7af2b268a541

Anyone else patiently waiting like myself for a build date? Perhaps more patiently than me :p is anyone following this story day by day for updates like me?

(I ordered April 23rd via lease broker, although the actual car was already on order with a dealer before I took the slot)

I was told to expect July then August, but with no build date as yet it could be much longer I fear

Also interested to know how long the most recently delivered vehicles took from order to delivery?
Just been chatting to a chap at Broadspeed this morning. They're no longer putting cutomers in touch with dealers for the Formentor. Due to the chip shortage they're being quoted delivery times of 9-12 months.

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
Mind you,is this effecting every manufacturer and every model?
It seems to be particularly troublesome to the formentor for some reason?

CupraD11

Apr 19, 2021
I'm in a similar to position to most here it seems, and I've been skulking around the comments for weeks. Ordered the Formentor in Week 15, which had to be a factory build as they didn't have any models with the pano roof in stock. This week I got the dreaded email from the dealer, citing the chip shortage for a delay to delivery. My initial delivery date was meant to be Week 28, but the dealer's stated that's gone out of the window now, and although the order is accepted, he has no clue when the build date could be.

Has anyone managed to amend/pivot their order to a stock car? Or cancel their order altogether? I do want the roof, but not at the behest of having to wait for what could be 6 months. I'm in a Mk6 Polo atm, and need the space pretty soonish, so maybe another stock VAG car would do for a bit.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
You can resign from pano roof and talk to the dealer to see if they can find you stock car. There's at least 50 cars on Autotrader, so there must be some in stock.

Reactions: CupraD11

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
I don't think it makes any difference if you buy stock spec or not...if it has to be factory built and it's not already in stock somewhere then it's going to be effected by the chip shortage.

Peugeot are fitting analogue dashboard instruments panels to get around it and it looks like only Hyundai out of the big makers have enough chips or alternatives to carry on production.

I might as well have not ordered to be honest,it's going to be a very late 2021 early 2022 delivery I suspect.

Luckily for me I have a decent car that I own to drive until then but a lot if people leasing or on PCP deals may well be left without cars.

CupraD11

Apr 19, 2021
I don't think it makes any difference if you buy stock spec or not...if it has to be factory built and it's not already in stock somewhere then it's going to be effected by the chip shortage.

Peugeot are fitting analogue dashboard instruments panels to get around it and it looks like only Hyundai out of the big makers have enough chips or alternatives to carry on production.

I might as well have not ordered to be honest,it's going to be a very late 2021 early 2022 delivery I suspect.

Luckily for me I have a decent car that I own to drive until then but a lot if people leasing or on PCP deals may well be left without cars.
I have a PCP myself, but it doesn't run out until March 2022. However, the car's due an MOT, and the brakes need doing, servicing etc and I just want to get rid kinda sharpish. A July delivery was already a bit of a push.

I guess if it's going to be late 21/early 22 for delivery, I'll have to cancel out. It's a nice car, and I do really want it but I'm sure VW or Audi have more available stock cars just due to their size.

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
I don't think they have mate,I've just been looking through stock lists and there's virtually nothing out there on vag sites.

tedman

May 11, 2021
Dorset
Not sure what to do and whether to just stick it out until delivery. Don’t want to cancel the lease as I will lose my deposits... also don’t want to wait until 2022 for a car that I was expecting September.

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
There’s loads available at dealers.
Dealer offered me £36k for my VZ Edition, which is slightly less than WBAC.
I doubt anyone out there is going to buy one of these cars with cash so there’s little point trying a private sale I’d think.

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Just checked - on Autotrader -

VZ2 44
VZ3 15
VZ Edition 5
All at dealerships I’d expect.

Won’t get those cheap leases perhaps but you can get a car reasonably easily if you really want one.

Could buy mine for £38k.
1600 miles
Ceramic coating
First two services covered.

• Haha
Reactions: Peyton

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
Trouble is there is a massive difference between buying a 38k car with a loan and paying £300 a month for 24 months on a lease 😂

Not really comparable.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise