PD 170 FR broke down!!

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
Hi all,

On Thursday eve I broke down after 2 1/2 years trouble free motoring. Car is 2008 FR PD170 TDI with 140K on the clock

Car is in fantastic condition with full history and has literally only just had oil and filter last week. I do 60 miles a day A road driving and the car gets a good work out most days............

Anyway, Thursday I had just overtaken some cars on an uphill stretch of dual carriageway, revving it fully (for a diesel) before backing off and changing up. As I did this the glow plug (coil?) light pinged on and continued to flash. I didn't notice any smoke from the exhaust and there were no horrid noises. Over the next few miles it stuttered, lost power (limp mode) and when I pulled into a lay-by it died as I dipped the clutch and came to a stop. It would catch then die immediately if I tried to restart.

My garage (who I have used and trusted for 15 years) say it shows a fault code relating to the inlet manifold, but I have no more detail yet.

Any pointers from your experience guys? I just dread big bills although I do have a warranty still.

Cheers Jimbo

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Agree with Lewis, this would be my first port of call but having the fault code would be good.

Mine did something similar before which turned out to be a leaky boost pipe. Also it did something similar during a long 6 hour trip. Took ages to start again but never came back. It was pouring rain at the time so think water may of affected a sensor or something.

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
Well it broke down because the fuel pump packed up. However, it is hesitating still and as you say it's suspected the swirl flaps are stuck. Hopefully get it back in a couple of days. They haven't pressed on with it because I've been on a course for two weeks and have a free loaner. I'm cool with that.

Hopefully sorted soon and warranty will cover the bulk of it.

Cheers

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
Well I finally get my car back this evening after 5 weeks away! Not the garages fault tbh. Ended up with a new inlet manifold. Part of the delay was caused by the first replacement manifold being faulty itself. So new dual pump and a new manifold. Haven't had the bill yet but do have an aftermarket gold warranty.
Fingers crossed it behaves itself!

Jimbo

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members