PD170 Stuttering Problem Solved

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Hi Guys, sounds like your having fun, I am still trying to decide if this will be same probs as mine, as mine is a low rev stutter although accasionally get on when you plant the throttle hard, where did you get the EGR delete kit?. and is it still running fine?. cheers again

My stutter was also around the 2k (low rev range)
EGR delete solved the problem for me. alot of help from AndreJB!
He knows his stuff =]

Oh and is it still worth cleaning the EGR first? and do we think the small holed gasket is still worth a go? thanks.

I guess the EGR is worth cleaning, but it will only get dirty again, and end up doing the same thing over time, so unless you got alot of time i wouldnt bother! just get EGR delete^^

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Although you need to get it mapped out or face failing the MOT.

I'm going for a clean if I can! No guides for PD170!

EE, check my EML thread.

kilner

May 8, 2011
Although you need to get it mapped out or face failing the MOT.

I'm going for a clean if I can! No guides for PD170!

EE, check my EML thread.

andy you shouldent need a guide to get the egr off you hav been given lots of information if you still carnt do it take it to a mechanic

if you start messing in that area and drop somthing in the boost pipe it dosent sound like your goin to kno wat to do to get it back and will probably just reconect the boost pipe run the engine and injest it and write the engine off

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I was just being over cautious. Didn't have a big enough allen or a T50 last night.

The only thread I found on removing the EGR said to take that black bit off?!

kilner

May 8, 2011
I was just being over cautious. Didn't have a big enough allen or a T50 last night.

The only thread I found on removing the EGR said to take that black bit off?!

i think wen they said black bit they mean all the part its conected to and probably discribed the egr as the black bit

the big fat hose at teh botom is your boost pipe put a big rag into it after its disconected so nothing falls in it but make sure u dont loose the rag inside

ted price

stuttering

hi i have just had a remap and now the car is stuttering in 1-2 gears up to 2000 rpm and in 5-6 gears its only started since the remap 5days ago also the light came on for the regen dpf its a mk2 leon fr tdi any help would be great cheers

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Who did the map, And what kind of map was it?

Ie was it just a Stage1 map or was it a Map+DPF Delete

The PD170 has this stuttering problem as standard, nobody really notices it until the car has been mapped, but standard cars have been known to do it aswell

kilner

May 8, 2011
the harsh stuter under full load is caused by boost hiting a limiter at 27psi wen the car is remaped its making 26psi so if the car overboosts ther is no room to allow for the overboost so hits the 27psi limiter and causes the car to drop boost back to safe level and then requests 26psi again and with such a fast spooling turbo and sudent request for boost it again overboosts and stuters again

this is FACT

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
the harsh stuter under full load is caused by boost hiting a limiter at 27psi wen the car is remaped its making 26psi so if the car overboosts ther is no room to allow for the overboost so hits the 27psi limiter and causes the car to drop boost back to safe level and then requests 26psi again and with such a fast spooling turbo and sudent request for boost it again overboosts and stuters again

this is FACT

I thought i cured my stutter 100%, but guess what?
After a long journey to worcester, i managed to get the car to stutter a few times after putting the foot down !!! Obviously the egr delete has minimised the problem, but it can still happen =/

kilner

May 8, 2011
I thought i cured my stutter 100%, but guess what?
After a long journey to worcester, i managed to get the car to stutter a few times after putting the foot down !!! Obviously the egr delete has minimised the problem, but it can still happen =/

like i have said its overboost and blocking the egr can also cause the stuter to happen more as ther will be more EMP to spin the turbo creating in even faster spool

most mappers will map the boost to hit 20 psi at around 2500 rpm then they make it carefully and slowly increse to the 26 psi with vnt controll to stop it stutering

but still the turbo can spool so qwick that it will sometimes overboost and hit that 27psi mark and cause the ecu to pull boost

normally if its the boost stutter it will be around 2 to 3 stuters if you keep your foot on the pedal also in 6th gear if you can make it stuter sometimes it never recovers and will just constantly stuter

this 27psi stuter is the bane of the siemens ecu in the ppd170 many tuners are trying to work a way around it and only one or two mappers really kno how to do it the rest wished they had this information :clap:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
My JBS V2.0 map and ***** maps never did this after EGR Delete though

Its not just the Siemens PPD thats been known to do this though the Bosch on the PD130/150/160 also suffers a similar stutter hence why Skoda released a service bulletin fix for it involving the £2 Gasket

kilner

May 8, 2011
My JBS V2.0 map and ***** maps never did this after EGR Delete though

Its not just the Siemens PPD thats been known to do this though the Bosch on the PD130/150/160 also suffers a similar stutter hence why Skoda released a service bulletin fix for it involving the £2 Gasket

thats coss they figured out the stuter and limited boost to 20psi to around 2500k rpm and sacrifice torq

also if you look at dyno runs on the ppd170 that dont stuter the torq will rise stop rising then rise again

the ppd170 that stuter make max torq lower as the boost isent controlled as smooth as the new revised maps

no one has to belive what im saying but its the truth for the 100% peddle down stutter when requesting max boost

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The other strage thing with my car when it did stutter in 1st and 2nd

it would do it on the road when i was trying to drive steadily ie accelerating smootly

But on the 1/4 mile i would plant my foot and no stutter lol

kilner

May 8, 2011
The other strage thing with my car when it did stutter in 1st and 2nd

it would do it on the road when i was trying to drive steadily ie accelerating smootly

But on the 1/4 mile i would plant my foot and no stutter lol

must be a difrent stuter to what i had then my car only stutered when i wanted to giv it a foot full

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The PD170 is a bit of a lost cause for further tuning..... i'm sorry to say it

it is if you keep the Siemens ECU

SEAT Sport managed to win 2 World Championships in WTCC with it, with a DPF in place aswell

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.