Pedal Box Replacement

Fozzyblob

Hey, so I ordered the parts from Seat yesterday (£142.57 :O) and collected them today.
Got home and went to remove the old pedal box.
I have managed to remove all the nuts and the retaining clips and the servo/brake pedal bracket.
I am now stuck on actually removing the pedal box, I haven't un-done the shear bolts holding the steering column in place, will I need to with a non-adjustable steering column, I see some of you managed to, however was this with or without an adjustable steering column?

All help will be greatly appreciated as my beeza is currently sat there non-driveable :(

Fozzyblob

Yeah, I'm using that guide to help me replace it. Is there any other way around it without removing the shear bolts if the steering column is a non-adjustable one or will I have to remove them?

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
why buy a new box? way cheaper to remove box, weld up like a battleship & throw it back in & it'll still be stronger than a new one.
i'd be strengthening the new one as well now you've got it

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
why buy a new box? way cheaper to remove box, weld up like a battleship & throw it back in & it'll still be stronger than a new one.
i'd be strengthening the new one as well now you've got it

I had mine fully seam welded...... Hopefully never crack again!

I only paid £75 for the box from VW and £6 for the clip

May 31, 2008
I have had to do my pedal box twice now, due to the standard box I bought from the dealer being about as structuraly sound as a flip flop. My current box has been seam welded up a good'n

I just used a chisel and drill (with various metal drill bits) took me about twenty minutes to get them off, new ones go in pretty easily. Plus it makes everything about ten times easier :)

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk
I had mine done in december an they have changed them boxes now so there stronger but u now need a new brake pedal as the standard one won't fit. They tell you a brake an clutch pedal is needed but we got away with using the orginal clutch pedal

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
only thing you need is the white clip that breaks on the back of the brake pedal! I'm on my second pedal box and using the same pedals so that isn't true sorry mate :)

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
only thing you need is the white clip that breaks on the back of the brake pedal! I'm on my second pedal box and using the same pedals so that isn't true sorry mate :)

Theyve been telling porky pies.

Seat didnt release a reinforced box, im pretty sure it was only the polo with a reinforced box aswell as the lupo which were recalled because volkswagen admitted the manufacturing fault.

Last edited:

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk

No u mean u havn't come across this yet :) It is true because it happened. An trust me my mate knows what his doing cuz he tryed fitting the orginal pedals

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I bought mine in December to! And wasn't just sitting in the dealers store room, had to wait 2 days for them to have it delivered. Sure they gave you the right one?? If they were going to
make a stronger one they would have done it sooner than 10 years after the Mk2 was made :)

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk
Well maybe it was a different one but works out more reliable then. Trust me it had to have two new pedals but they managed to get the clutch pedal to fit just not the brake so had to use a new one. An its wasn't £75 :D

steve_1017

Apr 22, 2008
I've just changed my pedal box today, it is different to the old one. Seat have done away with the 2 rubbish spot welds that hold the part of the bracket where the clutch cable comes through and its seam welded now but you dont need different pedals as mine went back on ok.

Would like to say a massive thank you to the guys who put the 'How To' guide together was invaluable.

Also, my steering column is non-adjustable but i managed to not have to remove it, just undid the 13mm nut and bolt at bottom of column and wiggled old box out. Did have to be pretty brutal with it but its all done and finished now. Took about 5 hrs in total.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Stuff Seat's little mod.... I had mine competely seam welded

Also I've finally got my arse upto Old School Engineering to collect my new pedel box, as all you Mk2 fans know these are common to go and I'm going to be on my second one in 6 years!

So hopefully this will be last time I will change this, I had it seam welded!

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Will be taking it to work tomorrow night to rub down and spray in primer and then spray it in matt black

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Yea sprayed it matt black, itsn't going to be seen but forgot to take pics :(

I had it seam welded at the bodyshop I took the snot to a while ago.... always pop up there now and again to see what toys he has!

Ford Concept Van with a supercharged vtec lump and an Ex Mondeo BTCC which I spent an hour looking around..... piece of engineering that is! and E30 M3 rally car