Peloquin diff advise/opinions wanted

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
As some of you will know my gearbox developed an oil leak over the weekend.

The box is now stripped and the fault looks to have been the diff bolts, one has snapped off and chewed it's way into the casing, another one snapped as it was being removed.
All the bolts show signs of being polished up as if the ring gear has been moving whilst in there.

I've spoken to the company who supplied me the diff and their words were along the lines of "we've never had that happen before it only happens when there not fitted correctly" i've also spoken direct to peloquin who have said the same thing but have offered to replace the bolt kit under.

I trust the guy who fitted it 100% as he's done work for me in the past and he's been in the trade a long time working on all manner of vehicles.
He followed the instructions from peloquin and torqued everything as specified.
One of his opinions is that the washers are to soft and over time the bolts have hammered their way into these which has meant they've worked loose causing the ring gear movement and subsequently meant the breakage has occured.

I've come off lucky considering as the repairs will hopefully only cost a couple of hundred pounds but my biggest concern is it happening again, we're currently looking into an upgraded bolt and washer set up but im looking for peoples opinions as to why they think this has happened.

Some pics posted below.

Picture035.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Last edited:

oilburninnut

this is worrying,my peloquin lsd is awaiting fitting at jabbasport

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I have yeah

Been told it's a fitment problem, i've also spoken to others who have mentioned they have heard of this happening before

Im just after opinions from members really, i don't want to be replacing or checking the box every 5k

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
peloquins reply below

Hello Ben,
I'm very sorry this has happened.
We have been using this bolt for over 3-years with no problems.
We have had a few using the 11.5 bolts fail but only because of improper install.
Plus only seems to be in the 02J type gear boxes.
If there was a problem with the bolt the threads would fail.
We have all our bolts checked when we get new batches.
When you removed the ring gear was there any signs that the ring gear was moving. Such as
rust and or a polished looking surface near bolt holes.
This means that ring was moving which will cause the bolt to break due to fatigue.
Plus if anything such as the splings coming up under the head of bolt will not allow for a flush fit which
will give an improper spec. reading.
I can't be responsible for any install that we don't perform.
I will replace the bolt kit due to it being the only thing that will work with the size of ring gear holes.
I just need your shipping address.
Jabba Sport had one not too long ago and was installed by the car owner, when Brian checked the bolts he found all loose.

Gary