Petrol Good For an Oil Burner....

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
A small amount of petrol in a diesel engine is OK, but a full tank ain't. A friend's wife filled their Fabia vRS with petrol & it cut out after 200 yards from the petrol station.
However, a small amount of diesel in a petrol engine is far worse.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
A small amount of petrol in a diesel engine is OK, but a full tank ain't. A friend's wife filled their Fabia vRS with petrol & it cut out after 200 yards from the petrol station.
However, a small amount of diesel in a petrol engine is far worse.

It can be but is a risk espcially on the newer 1800 Bar Pizeo systems, very fine tolerances. The VAG pump duse system did run better on a very small amount of petrol mixed with diesel apprantly!!

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Ha Ha.Funny thread this.Petrol in a derv yeah really.
On these more modern diesels the petrol is a no no IMHO.
The only advantage gained by doing this wiil be to save a couple of pence per tankfull,fooking up the car's engine in the process.
The pd engine can perform even better by Remap,better panel filter,induction kit etc,etc, so why put a liitle amount of petrol in???????
NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY,NUMPTY.

Last edited:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
It can be but is a risk espcially on the newer 1800 Bar Pizeo systems, very fine tolerances. The VAG pump duse system did run better on a very small amount of petrol mixed with diesel apprantly!!

I had about 5L in mine once when a friend filled my car while I went to the toilet in the fuel station, we then brimmed the car with Shell Optimax Diesel or whatever it is, I can say that the PD systems do not run better with petrol in them! When the fuel ran all the way down as I wanted to get the petrol out the car cut out twice at junctions when idleing :( It only happened that one time so I'm putting it down to the petrol in my tank.

Danny.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I had about 5L in mine once when a friend filled my car while I went to the toilet in the fuel station, we then brimmed the car with Shell Optimax Diesel or whatever it is, I can say that the PD systems do not run better with petrol in them! When the fuel ran all the way down as I wanted to get the petrol out the car cut out twice at junctions when idleing :( It only happened that one time so I'm putting it down to the petrol in my tank.

Danny.

Could be an urban myth then like the 250Bhp max for a FWD car, myth busted :)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Main problem with petrol in a diesel is because of the super fine tolerances the 'heavy oil' that diesel is lubricates the pump and system. Petrol strips this lubrication out of the system, friction builds up and either wears or breaks components. Thing is its not always appraent straight away and failures can happen many miles later.

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
As said, Diesel is used to also lubricate the pump internals, the problem with petrol in a diesel is that it can dry up the pump seals or contaminate the seals making them swell up. I worked for a military vehicle manufacturer where somebody put £3 worth of petrol in a 120Litre tank of diesel and even that wrecked the injection pump so we had to change it. That was a VW LT van engine so any VAG engine will probably do the same.
Diesel in a petrol will burn off and make it cough and splutter, but is much easier to repair. It's actually amazing on how many Wrong Fuel Uk vans I have seen at the petrol station where some stupid idiot has put the wrong fuel in.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.