Petrol ibiza 1.2 not-starting fault

bertrum

I'd be looking for one with 1.4 16v, Cheers. Anyone kno why the haven't made one for the mk4?

BeEzA

Oct 3, 2005
Irvine, Scotland
not sure why they havent made one but iirc the 1.4 16v isnt included in the polo one. dont quote me on this tho, only had to look at the 1.2 part for me :p

seat0040

Haynes Polo manual has:
3 cyl petrol 12v 1.2 (also 6v but I'm not sure that's relevant to Seat) - codes AZQ, BME
+ 4cyl petrol 1.4L 75hp & 100hp (AUA,BBY,BKY,AUB,BBZ)
+ 3cyl 1.4 turbo diesel (not sure if ibiza offered with this) (AMF,BAY,BNM, BNV)
+ 4 cyl 1.9L diesel non-turbo (ASY)
+ 4 cyl turbo diesel 100hp (ATD,AXR)
+ 4 cyl turbo diesel 130hp (ASZ,BLT)

hope that helps....

aste815

I've just booked mine in for a pre cautionary timing chain/tensioner replacement

with an oil change - 430 >_<

but better that then the engine munching itself.

seat0040

Just to complete the story which started this thread:

the Southampton Seat dealer changed the chain and chain guides and the car runs fine now – Cost £354.
There was no valve damage despite the large number of teeth jumped.

However: they do not appear to have replaced the tensioner (which I had requested) or the crankshaft oil seal (supposedly a manufacturer's instruction when removing the timing cover). Also the car now leaks oil from the sump drain plug – although I will fix this myself since I don't trust the dealer not to over-tighten it now.

Other dealers give conflicting statements as to whether the tensioner needs changing or whether the guide profile was modified to give better tension. Therefore I don't know whether I will simply have the same problem again when the chain stretches....

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Sounds like the normal outcome from Kings Seat then, half a job and 2 guys in the service department that seem to know nothing, (the guy with the white/grey beard is a total TIT and the one with glasses is a drip)

the guys on the tools seem to be OK but you can never seem to talk directly to them, just relay garbled messages through "TIT or DRIP"

I have had words with Kevin Fisher (the boss down there) and he basically agrees with me :lol:

From what I have read in previous posts I reckon you are more than capable of replacing the tensioner yourself so just do it and rest easy that you have all new parts

It's my MOT and service time this weekend and I'm all booked up for a while you wait appointment.......................................................at Meadens in Sway, well worth the extra fuel IMO

Last edited:

DFMM

My Son,s 2003,'03 reg 12V, has just had the chain and plastic guides & tensioner parts renewed, as the break-up of the plastics is the cause of the problem, + dirty oil, as the push on the tensioner is provided by a hydraulic capsule. I had the oil changed, after using an oil flushing additive to scour the engine,--- a common practise with hydraulic tappets. I also stuck with the high-spec MOBIL ESP 5W30 fully synthetic oil recommended for short-trip use.
The revised kit of parts, introduced in 2004, mainly altered the plastic parts, so as my Son's car had not jumped its chain, only the chain and plastic bits were renewed, + oil,air,and pollen filters. He has just reported that it is running very well, after 10 days use, including a trip to Donald Trump's targeted SSSI, north of his home in Aberdeen. ( DENSO Iridium-tipped spark-plugs run well ,--- £28 inc VaT & post ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
I just got an Ibiza today. Already the Diagnostic warning light has come on so i have to phone the garage tomorrow but i hope the chain on mine does not need changing soon, i will get it changed at around 50k or something like that?

DFMM

I just got an Ibiza today. Already the Diagnostic warning light has come on so i have to phone the garage tomorrow but i hope the chain on mine does not need changing soon, i will get it changed at around 50k or something like that?

A near-neighbour of mine, 500 yards along the road, had his new 2003, 03 reg 12V IBIZA burst its chain at 15,000 miles, total destruction of the engine, but after pressure & pleading, renewed under warranty. Car is now just on 35,000 miles and he has lost confidence in it, with added problems from suspension bushes ( all bushes give trouble eventually, and shocks, and springs, and wash-wipe pipes and motors, door-locks, remotes : --- same with the other VAG group cars ).
Treat the car to 6-monthly oil + filter changes using engine flushing oil, and MOBIL 1 ESP 5W30 fully synthetic engine oil ( £45 at Kwik-Fit ).
With nursing, you MAY get 60,000 miles out of the old type chain & tensioner.
I feel lucky to have got away with fitting the improved outfit ( CIRCA 2004 ), having genned-up on VAG forums.
The crank-shaft end-seal was renewed at a service/recall at 6,500 miles, and the sump seal has to be renewed at every oil-change ( beware of alloy sump ).
The individual HT coils on the sparkplugs often had to be renewed as a set, just one u/s item is dog-rough.

aste815

got mine replaced on thursday although there was a little hiccup when it was being worked on, however the seat dealership sorted the issue with the minimum of fuss.

Had an oil change at the same time so the car is running well :)

Is this the only major issue with the 1.2 ibiza?

superkully

Jul 1, 2004
This is making me worried, my '03 1.2 is on 95,000 miles now and I've not had any chain problems... And I'm driving down to Spain and back in the summer...

Is there any signs of impending doom to look out for? :)

BeEzA

Oct 3, 2005
Irvine, Scotland
This is making me worried, my '03 1.2 is on 95,000 miles now and I've not had any chain problems... And I'm driving down to Spain and back in the summer...

Is there any signs of impending doom to look out for? :)

but surely this is a common fault at around 50k ish miles? ive seen a few chains going at lower mileages as well but ive never seen one last to 95k. would the chain not have died by now?

not sure if this would be too accurate but if you take the two small covers off of the passenger side of the camshafts, you should see 2 offset notches in the end of the cams. these should be in line with each other.

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
It was a rear sensor or something which was wrong with it. I asked them to look at the breaks to stop them from squeeling but they looked at them but they are still making the same sound! :(

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.