Pilot Sport 4s on front only - cupra 290 2019 DSG

Jun 19, 2019
Hi all,

Im having 2 ps4s put on the front on friday to hopefully reduce the awful wheel hop issue. Only done 6k miles and the fronts are shot already! Backs are fine though, hardly any wear at all.

Since the backs are fine, I’m not changing them. I’m aware the ps4s should hopefully provide more grip than the standard conti’s, but will the different grip levels on the front to the back cause issues or make it dangerous? I dont throw it round corners, more pinning it off roundabouts and in straight lines.

This is on a cupra 290 2019 dsg hatch.

Thanks

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
You will be fine; a lot of people always bang on about putting the new rubber on the rear, (to reduce potential oversteer) but it's not as if you have Chinese ditchfinding crap on the back so don't worry about it.

Syerate

Sep 6, 2019
Yeah you will most likely be fine, I have had different tyres on back to front before and haven't really noticed any major issues (including tread differences). I have a 4 set of ps4s at the moment, they are great but I have noticed they are not amazing in more wet conditions. Could just be me though, when it's dry out they stick like glue though, I still get wheel hop/spin up in our current winter weather but that's to be expected I guess.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
You will be fine; a lot of people always bang on about putting the new rubber on the rear, (to reduce potential oversteer) but it's not as if you have Chinese ditchfinding crap on the back so don't worry about it.
I’ve had Nankang ditchfinder level tyres that have offered more confidence and grip than the Contin5Ps

Jun 19, 2019
I get dreadful wheel hop and have done since new, so its not the fact that the tyres are shagged. I just hope the ps4s make at least a bit of a difference and last more than 6k miles!

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
You’ll be fine I’ve got PS4S on the front and Conti’s on the back gets driven hard. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GordonMcC

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
Also grip is better and reduced wheel hop. Still can hop when tyres are cold, but when slightly warm it grips up much better. Also wear seems to be better than Conti’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
I’ve had Nankang ditchfinder level tyres that have offered more confidence and grip than the Contin5Ps

Some Nankangs are far from ditchfinders though, NS-2Rs and AR-1s will provide superior grip to the vast majority of road orientated tyres in the dry.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Although current official advice is to put the 'better' tyres on the rear, many do not agree
that it's the safest option for a FWD car, (including me) regardless of how many modern
braking/stability features are fitted - and it's notable that the opposite was the official advice
for many more years.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019

Saw them fitted OE to a top end motor the other day!!

My Joke was always what do WANLI and NANKANG tyres have in common
Take WAN and add it to KANG

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Come on, even Nankang aren't as bad as WANLI! I wouldn't put WANLI on a childs scooter!

Reactions: Polly

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
I have the PS4s on Fronts and Conti 5Ps on the rear. The wear rate on the Contis up front were horrendous.

my only gripe with the PS4s tyres are the steering feel has becoming considerably lighter which I dont particularly like, other than that they have been good so far.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Although current official advice is to put the 'better' tyres on the rear, many do not agree
that it's the safest option for a FWD car, (including me) regardless of how many modern
braking/stability features are fitted - and it's notable that the opposite was the official advice
for many more years.
I think that started from the theory that your average muppet driver can cope with understeer better than oversteer. There is some truth to this.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I think its fine to put the better or newer tyres on the front, especially if they are of similar quality, however if they are drastically better then probably not.

When I bought my MG ZT it had bridgstones but the rears were borderline illegal so the garage fitted new ones before I collected. They were Autogrip and complete rubbish. The car was nearly undrivable, the rear swung around like a pendulum even at low speed. They were much safer on the front (but even then I gave in and replaced then in a couple months).

Dyno2012

Nov 4, 2017
I've had SP4s on the front of my 300 for 10k after the Contis wore out at 7.5k. Much better and no probs with the Contis on the back. Still got some life in them but it's starting to follow the contours of road under full acceleration, especially when damp. Had the odd trouser moment. Still get wheel hop, just learn when to be careful.

Lease ends in 4 months so not sure whether to try and nurse SP4s through...

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish

i thought the bridgestones that come in 64 plate fr were bad, then i got a cupra with Contin5Ps

i'm running ps4s front, Contin5Ps rear( they still had 4-5mm left)

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Its a shame the new tyre labelling system is completely worthless. I also think there need to be stricter safety rules for tyres. The current rules are only concerned with construction safety, not grip or durability.

I remember Autoexpress did a test of tyres and they showed that the cheapest Wanli were just dangerous. The braking test showed that if a car with Wanlis was following an identical car with premium tyres on it at 50mph, with a 2 second gap, if they both hit the brakes at the same time the wanli car would hit the other up the back at 30mph.

I havent found the Contis that bad yet, apart from wear. The car has only done 2800 miles but they are noticably worn already. 6 to 7k is all they will last at best, I'll likely ditch them at about 5.5k.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I've got PS4S upfront and the 5Ps at the back. I'm guessing most people will do exactly the same to get on to the Michelin's as soon as possible. The 5Ps on the front wore out after 8.5k and the PS4S have now done 8k with decent tread still remaining.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Its a shame the new tyre labelling system is completely worthless. I also think there need to be stricter safety rules for tyres. The current rules are only concerned with construction safety, not grip or durability.

I remember Autoexpress did a test of tyres and they showed that the cheapest Wanli were just dangerous. The braking test showed that if a car with Wanlis was following an identical car with premium tyres on it at 50mph, with a 2 second gap, if they both hit the brakes at the same time the wanli car would hit the other up the back at 30mph.

I havent found the Contis that bad yet, apart from wear. The car has only done 2800 miles but they are noticably worn already. 6 to 7k is all they will last at best, I'll likely ditch them at about 5.5k.
The problem is in setting a baseline. What might be unsuitable for a Cupra driven as it's meant to be driven, and what Miss Daisy wants for her weekly trip to church.
She will not need Z rated rubber.
At least you don't have tyre dealers importing used tyres from Japan and selling them to retards. Do You?