Please help: Wipers stuck in service position!

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Hi there

as per previous thread, I needed to replace the wiper linkage on one side...this went smoothly enough. Replaced wiper arm etc
However, the wipers work fine but when then come to rest either driving or parked up they always return to the service position (at the bottom of the screen) and don't return to the upright position behind the A pilars.
I've tried turning the ignition on then off and moving the wiper stalk to the intermitten position but after going back up vertically, they then revert to the service position again.
When driving in itermitten position they function as they should in the correct return position between wipes, but when I turn off the wipers completely, then again return to the bottom after a few seconds

Please help anyone as don't know what to try next!

Many thanks

radio is locked to the car, but thats about it. I did notice you get two warning light that come on once you reconnect battery but these go once you start driving. car need to do 20 or so metres to set the ESP light again apparently.

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Hi guys

thanks for all your advice...this afternoon I nudged the bottom (passenger) wiper down about half an inch, and this seems to of fixed it....looks like if the wiper is just a bit out then thois gets detected and parks the wipers up at the bottom of the screen...

cheers to all

Regards

eddy68

Wipers stuck in service position!

Hi there,

Our car had to go into the garage recently to have the front passenger side coil spring replaced. Unfortunately, the garage damaged something to do with the wipers when they were trying to gain access and had to replace the bracket. Since then, the wipers work ok but then come to rest in the service position (at the bottom of the screen) and won't return to the upright position behind the A pillars.

Like 'egroover', we tried switching off the ignition etc but they still return to the bottom again after a few seconds. I followed this thread in the hope that it might work but nudging the passenger arm hasn't fixed anything.

Do you really think that disconnecting the battery will work or is this going to be another garage job - I can't bear to take it back to the garage that caused it (when they fix one thing another problem occurs - long story) but am I going to be looking at an expensive fix if I take it elsewhere?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!