PLEASE HELP!

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
I have a droning noise coming from the rear of car. Now I’ve ruled out a couple of things. I had the bearings checked and they are fine, I’ve also changed the tyres and still no joy. There is no vibration or rattles, no squeaks and no play in the rear wheels. Just a constant drone that pics up with speed. Even if I coast in neutral it’s still there.

Quick-fit had it up on the ramps and couldn’t figure it out, also my local garage is baffled too (he’s not the best mechanic in all fairness and is easily baffled). Before I fork out an unknown amount of money does anyone know what the problem may be? Or maybe anything else that I could check? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
You have not given any update on this with pics of the wheel clearances. I wonder if it's possible that it is a wheel bearing even though you have been told it's not?

I had the wheels and the clearances checked over. It turns out I need my eyes checked over too because they were fine. It’s got that classic wheel bearing sound but it’s been ruled out. I don’t really want to change the bearing if it’s not them. So frustrating

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I had the wheels and the clearances checked over. It turns out I need my eyes checked over too because they were fine. It’s got that classic wheel bearing sound but it’s been ruled out. I don’t really want to change the bearing if it’s not them. So frustrating

I would get someone to sit in the centre of rear seat to see if they can pinpoint which side of the car the sound is coming from and if it's definitely one side I would probably change that bearing. Many years ago I had a rear wheel drive car and thought the noise was in the differential as I had checked the wheel bearings and thought they were OK, when I removed the half-shafts, to remove the diff, I checked the bearings again and found one that was not as smooth as the other side, renewed the bearing, noise gone!

Reactions: CardiffFR150

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
If it's doing it in neutral aswell then what else is rotating? And it also changes with speed?

It will be the wheel bearing

Best advice is dont use sh1tfit , they are fast fitters not mechanics

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
What brand and size of tyres are you running? Could be those. Does it do it all the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only budget tyres mate. I’ve always used cheap tyres even before this noise occurred

Reactions: xyz

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
I would get someone to sit in the centre of rear seat to see if they can pinpoint which side of the car the sound is coming from and if it's definitely one side I would probably change that bearing. Many years ago I had a rear wheel drive car and thought the noise was in the differential as I had checked the wheel bearings and thought they were OK, when I removed the half-shafts, to remove the diff, I checked the bearings again and found one that was not as smooth as the other side, renewed the bearing, noise gone!

I sat in the back whilst my partner drove and it seems like it’s the whole rear end of the car. It’s so hard to pin point it

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
How were the bearings checked?
Need to be checked WITHOUT the wheels on - as the mass of the wheels can mask bearing issues.

Reactions: CardiffFR150

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
How were the bearings checked?
Need to be checked WITHOUT the wheels on - as the mass of the wheels can mask bearing issues.

Only checked with the wheels on. You think it’s a good idea to get them checked with the wheels off then mate?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sometimes it's fine to let bearing noises develop a bit to make identification easier. I have what I'm pretty certain is a bearing starting to go on the front of my car. The noise only starts about 60mph and is not loud then. Most people wouldn't pick up on it. As yet, I can't tell which side it is so I'm just going to let it develop until I can clearly tell which side it is from and sort it then.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.