Plug & Play HID's

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Hi,

Considering some HID's for my FR and after looking around the internet there are a few kits that connect to the existing bulb connectors - just wondering if anyone has any experience of these?

Also which one should I go for in terms of the output? Is 6000k the best to give the nice xenon effect?

Thanks
Virge

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
The kit that I have is from HIDS4U (Ultimate Kit) its pretty much plug and play (apart from the drilling of the light covers for the bulbs to go through)
For the best light range and whiteness I would go for 5500K rather than 6000K (I have these and they have a small blue tinge to them)
Alex

Red Cupra

I had thought about getting some of these to match the white light given off the led's that I've just bought. However after looking a bit further into them I found that they are illegal unless you have have means of automatically leveling them either on the car suspension or on the headlight unit itself also you must have washers on your headlights fitted. If you read the disclaimers on the websites that sell them, they say that they are for off road use only. I'm not telling you not to buy and fit them, just don't get caught!:D

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
DSC05727.jpg

http://www.auto-tuner.co.uk/review-hids4u.htm

si289

I had thought about getting some of these to match the white light given off the led's that I've just bought. However after looking a bit further into them I found that they are illegal unless you have have means of automatically leveling them either on the car suspension or on the headlight unit itself also you must have washers on your headlights fitted. If you read the disclaimers on the websites that sell them, they say that they are for off road use only. I'm not telling you not to buy and fit them, just don't get caught!:D

Technically they are illegal in the UK. However they are not illegal in some countries in the EU, this means that there is a very grey area about them due to the fact that the UK law states that any car legal in an EU country is allowed to drive on the UK roads. Or that's what I've heard on a few forums, so could be complete rubbish but makes sense to me.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
sorry been really busy

i will try to get pics of them tonight :)

so no drilling involed right? because with the HID4U kit tho they are more expensive you had to drill the covers to fill the lights in? so this kit should be just plug and play just like you said if so i will order a set i fancy the 4k temp for standard xenon lights anymore is just bit too much.

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
Hi there, i just fitted some HIDS from hids-direct (6000K) and they look brilliant... there is some drilling involved to get the cables through the plastic back cover but nothing major at all....

Essentially drilling the cover allows them to be as plug and play as possible, because you're taking the 12V supply from the original bulb connector (i.e. inside the headlight unit), feeding it out to the ballast (through the cover) and then taking the high tension wires from the ballast (back through the cover) to the HID 'bulbs'. Unless you're going to find another 12V supply for the ballast elsewhere in the engine compartment, I think using the supplied rubber grommets is the closest you'll get to OEM without retrofitting actual OEM units, which is much more expensive. (And you'd still need to get the cables from the ballast to the bulb somehow... which is probably easiest through the cover/grommet!)

Drilling the cover is a bit scary for novices like me, but it's not so bad and you can always order a new rear cover for the headlight in case you mess up - I think they're only a few quid from seremotors or whoever. :)

My 6kK HIDs look much too blue during warmup but I understand this is normal. After a minute or two, they look a lovely bright white with just a hint of blue. I certainly wouldn't go for anything above 6kK and 5kK probably looks more OEM. My LED sidelights which previously looked white next to my halogen dipped lights, now almost match exactly, although they're still slightly more blue than the 6K HIDs.

I'll try and take some photos shortly so I can show you what I mean. :)

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
Essentially drilling the cover allows them to be as plug and play as possible, because you're taking the 12V supply from the original bulb connector (i.e. inside the headlight unit), feeding it out to the ballast (through the cover) and then taking the high tension wires from the ballast (back through the cover) to the HID 'bulbs'. Unless you're going to find another 12V supply for the ballast elsewhere in the engine compartment, I think using the supplied rubber grommets is the closest you'll get to OEM without retrofitting actual OEM units, which is much more expensive. (And you'd still need to get the cables from the ballast to the bulb somehow... which is probably easiest through the cover/grommet!)

Drilling the cover is a bit scary for novices like me, but it's not so bad and you can always order a new rear cover for the headlight in case you mess up - I think they're only a few quid from seremotors or whoever. :)

My 6kK HIDs look much too blue during warmup but I understand this is normal. After a minute or two, they look a lovely bright white with just a hint of blue. I certainly wouldn't go for anything above 6kK and 5kK probably looks more OEM. My LED sidelights which previously looked white next to my halogen dipped lights, now almost match exactly, although they're still slightly more blue than the 6K HIDs.

I'll try and take some photos shortly so I can show you what I mean. :)

hi mate what LED lights you got? i have the MTEC sidelights which are an improvement over the standard but still not what i was looking for....do your LED lights throw up any errors?

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
so no drilling involed right? because with the HID4U kit tho they are more expensive you had to drill the covers to fill the lights in? so this kit should be just plug and play just like you said if so i will order a set i fancy the 4k temp for standard xenon lights anymore is just bit too much.

every kit requires drilling on the light covers unfortunately - it is a piece of piss though.

i'd personally go for 4300 or 5000... no matter what anyone says, 6000 looks pretty blue and its one of those ones where u see the car coming toward you and u know its a set of aftermarkets fitted. if that makes sense...

i've got 5000k hid4u kit with the normal H7 bulbs (do not get the anti glare or H7R bulbs).

i'll try take some snaps tonight

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
right, some quick snaps.... its raining and no matter wat the hell i did iwth the cam i could not get a shot of the car without the hids appearing like they were giving off a glare :(

as you will see, the light is bright crystal white with the slightest tint of bluey/purple

DSCF1649.jpg

DSCF1651.jpg

DSCF1653.jpg

DSCF1658.jpg

DSCF1660.jpg

Some pics from me. My LED sidelights are the £20 ones from this thread.

leon-fr-lights-1.jpg

leon-fr-lights-2.jpg

leon-fr-lights-3.jpg

The difference in colour seems exaggerated by the camera... the sidelights don't look *that* blue next to my HIDs (6000K H7R HIDS4U Ultimate Kit). :shrug:

Anyway, they look good IMHO. I'm happy with them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise