Poor MPG. VZ2 Hybrid

May 12, 2022
I have a VZ2 Hybrid, after the battery has been used I'm getting around 36mpg on a motorway run of 50 miles averaging 53 mph.
is this to be expected?

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Yup, sounds about right.

The way to handle this is to always drive in hybrid mode when doing more than 30 odd miles. And let the car workout when to use e-drive and the start/stop.

I do a 230 mile round trip, once a week and hit 60 to 62mpg over the journey.

@Cuprakash has a good post somewhere here that explains the dynamics of the whole thing including regen consideration, fix battery level over short, city, motorway and long distance driving.

Reactions: Cuprakash

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
I have the 310 VZ petrol and driving very conservatively I can get 40mpg
You must have a featherlite touch. I averaged 31 on a 230 mile run up to Edinburgh today. Granted it was 4 people and luggage. Steady 70-80mph

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
I have a VZ2 Hybrid, after the battery has been used I'm getting around 36mpg on a motorway run of 50 miles averaging 53 mph.
is this to be expected?
Do you use the ACC?

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
As well as my own vz1 245 I delivered a 204 v1 yesterday to an address 50 miles away....A roads and motorway and ser off with a full battery,arriving with 12 miles left (started with 32 miles showing on the gom)...and achieved 68 mpg.

(Set the car in hybrid mode immediately)

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
I averaged 31 on a 230 mile run up to Edinburgh today. Granted it was 4 people and luggage. Steady 70-80mph
Sounds about right to me, I’ve got a VZ2 310. I’m just coming up to 5k miles and I’ve hit 40mpg on no more than two or three occasions in that time. Only way to get that sort of mileage for me is to drive at around 60-65mph on motorways and A roads. Round trip to Gatwick of 160 miles recently, which is a good mix of roads, two people and luggage: 35mpg.

Compared to the Leon FR Sport this car replaced, the gearing is low. Cruising at 70mph is over 2k rpm in top. The Leon was about 1750rpm at 75mph. I’d be happier it had longer legs in Comfort mode, I don’t care when I’m in CUPRA mode because I’m having fun, and MPG is neither here nor there.

If I was that concerned about MPG, I wouldn’t be driving a Formentor, I knew what I was getting into.

kevinb

May 4, 2022
I have a 245 hybrid. Yesterday in hybrid mode did a round trip of 114kms (about 71 miles). I got 5.5 litres per 100km fuel consumption (about 51mpg) and had 7% left on the battery.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If I was that concerned about MPG, I wouldn’t be driving a Formentor, I knew what I was getting into.

Agree.

Fuel consumption is quite often discussed on some VW forums in relation to performance cars, which I do find a little surprising; if someone driving a VW Golf R expected to get VW up! fuel consumption, they bought the wrong car.

Granted, having to fill the tank is an ongoing cost that can’t be ignored, and enthusiastic driving in an ICE performance car (or any ICE car for that matter) means more frequent trips to the filling station and higher overall expenditure on petrol, but IMHO that goes with the territory of owning a performance car.

Drive it and enjoy it 🙂.

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
that goes with the territory of owning a performance car.

Drive it and enjoy it 🙂.
Exactly. I’m lucky in that post-lockdown my firm continued its working from home policy, so my 280 mile a week commute has been reduced to around a 100 miles a month. When it was time to trade in my Leon, it was an easy decision. Even with buying 99 RON fuel and mental road tax I’m better off.

I find excuses to go out for a drive every week.

Reactions: Seastormer

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Agree.

Fuel consumption is quite often discussed on some VW forums in relation to performance cars, which I do find a little surprising; if someone driving a VW Golf R expected to get VW up! fuel consumption, they bought the wrong car.

Granted, having to fill the tank is an ongoing cost that can’t be ignored, and enthusiastic driving in an ICE performance car (or any ICE car for that matter) means more frequent trips to the filling station and higher overall expenditure on petrol, but IMHO that goes with the territory of owning a performance car.

Drive it and enjoy it 🙂.
The proper measurement for a performance car is best shown in;
Smiles per Gallon 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Dominus

Apr 9, 2023
I have the 310 VZ petrol and driving very conservatively I can get 40mpg
Wow, clearly my version of conservative driving differs from yours :LOL:

I get 23 ish mpg on my commute and my first M1 trip yesterday was 32 mpg which was using ACC and sticking to the speed limit.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021

I get 23 ish mpg on my commute and my first M1 trip yesterday was 32 mpg which was using ACC and sticking to the speed limit.
I'm afraid I'm with you on this one Dom. I'm well chuffed if I can get 25 on a daily basis, but can get 35 on a long, motorway stretch. I guess it's the price to pay for having a leaden right foot!

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022

I do mainly motorway and have to use the eco cruise as much as I can but it’s more than possible.

Don’t even look what I get in CUPRA mode but if I didn’t buy the car to save fuel like most of us.

Reactions: Dominus

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
CUPRA mode all day every day, Start car -Set Gearbox to Sports mode - Engage!
Don't care what the mpg says - it's gonna be better than the Mustang any day.

Just wish I could find a way to stop getting the little eco love notes from Greta in the binacle - if I'd wanted eco tips I would have bought a Toyota Pious 🙈

Reactions: Darren Evans

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022
CUPRA mode all day every day, Start car -Set Gearbox to Sports mode - Engage!
Don't care what the mpg says - it's gonna be better than the Mustang any day.

Just wish I could find a way to stop getting the little eco love notes from Greta in the binacle - if I'd wanted eco tips I would have bought a Toyota Pious 🙈
Haha love it. You can turn the Eco tips off its on the infotainment system somewhere

Miket

Mar 31, 2023

I’ve just got the vz2 310bhp only 3 weeks old, still not run in with only 500 mile on the clock but I’m getting 34.5 average at 70+ mph

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise