Poor Reversing Light

jerseyaltea

Has anybody else noticed how poor the reversing light is on the Altea. Maybe I've been spoilt my previous 3 Seats which all had two lights mounted above bumper level (Cordoba, Vario and MK1 Leon) but the Altea being a single light and mounted below the bumper is very poor. The standard privacy glass doesn't help as does having a short dark drive that I have to reverse up. Thankfully I opted for the reversing sensors. If I bought a LHD reversing light it would mean doing away with the rear fog, so that's not a good idea. Any ideas where I might get a higher wattage reverse lamp bulb other than the standard 21w. I've also considered a white LED bulb but will it be any brighter and will the head of the bulb fit into the the reverse light casing as they are bigger than the standard bulb. Has anyone any other 'bright ideas'

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi jerseyaltea,

have a look at this thread
=> Rear lights are shockingly crap!

We (over in germany) are investigating on this for quite a while now ... no really efficient solutions so far ... there's said to be a "HELLA" replacement for the original back light but this is supposed to be just a somewhat brighter.

cheers ... Klaus

Bidey

HI Guys,
Got this response re 25mm diameter brighter LED lights replacement for poor standard Reversing light.
Maybe someone can advise how the reversing light fitting works on the Altea?
I.e.
Well if the hole isn't 25mm in diameter (if the bulb goes in from the back)
then they won't fit

If the lens unscrews they will fit

Regards,

Alan

Do you have room for a larger bulb - the r10 is only 15mm in diameter - we
have some VERY bright 25mm bulbs

Regards,

Alan

All new www.aceparts.com

SEAT Altea reversing light type R10W or your 382. Lighting is very poor will
the 382 LED upgrade i.e. be brighter?

dlm2310

Rocco Is God !!
Dec 17, 2006
West Yorkshire
Has anybody else noticed how poor the reversing light is on the Altea. Maybe I've been spoilt my previous 3 Seats which all had two lights mounted above bumper level (Cordoba, Vario and MK1 Leon) but the Altea being a single light and mounted below the bumper is very poor. The standard privacy glass doesn't help as does having a short dark drive that I have to reverse up. Thankfully I opted for the reversing sensors. If I bought a LHD reversing light it would mean doing away with the rear fog, so that's not a good idea. Any ideas where I might get a higher wattage reverse lamp bulb other than the standard 21w. I've also considered a white LED bulb but will it be any brighter and will the head of the bulb fit into the the reverse light casing as they are bigger than the standard bulb. Has anyone any other 'bright ideas'

I would say you were spoilt where the other cars happened to have lights above bumper level.

Excuse my ignorance but I thought the whole point of a reversing light is that other road users can see you are reversing and is not an unofficial rear headlight which is there to help you see where you are going.

I must admit I've never even given it a thought due to having the sensors myself.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hello Bidey,

even if the bulb will fit in there will most likely be another problem:

Can the ECU deal with any different resistor, e.g. the ECU #09 (3C0-937-049) has to be changed here:
Byte 19 Bit 2 Cold Diagnosis Rear Parking Lights active

But imagine ... some members in the german board tried and even switching off the cold diagnosis still left a warning light in the speedo resp. an error message in the multifunction display ...so there seems to be some other magic with this reversing light.

greets ... Klaus

Henning Bech Ma

Hello Bidey,

even if the bulb will fit in there will most likely be another problem:

Can the ECU deal with any different resistor, e.g. the ECU #09 (3C0-937-049) has to be changed here:
Byte 19 Bit 2 Cold Diagnosis Rear Parking Lights active

But imagine ... some members in the german board tried and even switching off the cold diagnosis still left a warning light in the speedo resp. an error message in the multifunction display ...so there seems to be some other magic with this reversing light.

greets ... Klaus

No problem with a 35W bulb
;)