possible bost leak

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
i think i may have a boost or Vac leak somewhere, just wondered which are the usual culprits to check first. Also, what's the easiest way to get to the intercooler and associated pipes on an LC? Got some time off work so will be spending a day giving it a good service and clean so want to try and check the pipes too. I know my TIP sometimes collapses under harsh acceleration so will need replacing soon.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
you can get to to lower intercooler pipe by jacking the car up and removing the pass side wheel and splash shield.

Think you can get to the top one from the engine bay?

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
cool, i've just read about TB cleaning so will give that a go as well at the same time as it's done 92K now and feels a bit sluggish and hesitant (esp when cold).

Another question, can you do TB reset with unregistered VAG COM or do you need license for it?

muks11

Oct 30, 2007
Leicester
You wont need to do a reset if you DONT remove the electrical cable attached to the TB. I did mine a couple of days ago and it had made the ride and acceleration smoother and idle seems a little less lumpy. Dont forget to replace the gasket. it costs a couple of quid from SEAT.

There is a link on a thread in this forum to a skoda forum which has an exellent guide on cleaning the throttle body.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
yeah found the link for the part number, will phone the stealers today and see if they have the part in stock. Looks like i've got a busy day.

Jobs to be done

Change Engine Oil
Change Oil Filter
Switch back to universal cone filter
remove or repair Secondary air pump
TB clean (might do TB reset anyway)
Change brake pads
check all boost and vac hoses for leaks (replace as necessary)
clean engine bay
Clean car inside and out (wash, polish, hoover)
Run a set of logs to see if she's running ok

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
been down to VW dealers (as it's only round the corner) and got the gasket for £2.08. Parts dept bloke was a bit of an arse. Told him i needed a gasket for between TB and manifold for 1.8 20v T Leon Cupra AUQ and his response was, i don't know anything about seat. To which i replied, it's the same damn engine as MKIV golf...... after a quick search on the puter, he managed to find it........odd that eh! Couldn't be arsed to drive 10 miles to the seat dealers across town, they probably would have to order one from spain (their usual answer).

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
one of the culprits for a leaking vac pipe is under the inlet manifold i think theres 4 points on it and are very comon for spiltting. one of mine has just split and the stealers dont sell the pipe on its own but only as a coplete unit which is 50 notes. hopefully a bit of cutting and joining will do the trick as for other pipes theres breather hoses (which shouldnt affect boost if split) and then theres the line from the dv and from the fpr.

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
no from what i have read anyway. if you take off the plastic cover surounding the dipstick. then you wull be able to see them alot clearer and if you take off the metal plate that holds the dipstick and other pipes underneath it then they should more visible and you should then be able to squeeze your hand in there.
just be carefull not to snap the dipstick holder or you might get plastic in your sump then you will have to draindown and take the sump off.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.