Possible Dual Mass Flywheel Issue

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
Horrible noise coming from my Wifes Altea 1.6Tdi 63 Plate. Dealer has listened to recording as intermittent. They have now said it may be the flywheel. Not sure how to upload sound files though. Have anyone else had the same issue?

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
Horrible noise coming from my Wifes Altea 1.6Tdi 63 Plate. Dealer has listened to recording as intermittent. They have now said it may be the flywheel. Not sure how to upload sound files though. Have anyone else had the same issue?

Yes. Define the horrible noise. I had a DMF go on a 1.9TDi. IT made one of two noises.

A metallic dink dink (rhythmic) sound occasionally from the RHS of the engine as you face it. This came and went. This is the internals of the DMF moving more that the springs should let it because its failing.

It also made a very loud metallic rattle and scrape noise once during this period under load. When it makes this noise, make sure you don't leave it (if it is DMF) as if it breaks up, it will go straight through (and bust) your gearbox.

There a lots of clips on youtube for failing DMF's - have a look and see if it sounds the same.

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
The issue was looked at by my local dealer and they changed the alloy spacer plate between the engine block and gearbox which had distorted and was catching the flywheel which is what was causing the noise. They had a modified spacer (which leads me to believe that this may be a known issue).

Hopefully all sorted out now.

Last edited: