possible toledo 2 owner!

mrwall

HELLO, I joined this forum to ask a very simple question really,
Just how thirsty is a V5? My last car was a Toyota Picnic 2.0 auto it managed around 22mpg, i only do 60-70 miles a week and a couple weeks a year camping so i need to know if I am gonna use more or less fuel?
I suppose i am a little right foot heavy... given the chance!

Another thing is it true that the sprockets which turn the cam chain are made of plastic?

please help as i am going to view a v5 on a "T" with 53000 miles for £1300 i am an impulse buyer and £1300 is all i have to buy a car to ferry my misses and 3 kids around!

ta, leon

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The V5 will deliver better fuel economy than your Toyota. My average is around 30mpg, going down to 15 when I'm having fun, or up to 40 when I'm being particularly environmentally friendly. However, on an average tank full it's difficult to get it below 28 overall.

Cam chain sprockets made of plastic are very unlikely. There's no point in going back to a cam chain then having them sat on plastic, you might as well stick with a cam belt. In any case, the SEAT schedule says 'inspect at 125k', it doesn't say anything about replace, so you can be fairly confident that it won't be breaking anytime soon. Unless you crack the sump and run without oil for a while...

A T reg wouldn't normally cost more than a grand, however that is quite low mileage so perhaps thats what you're paying for. One thing I would suggest though is get your three kids in the back to give it a go. There's not a lot of room and it might be a bit cramped for three, especially as they grow up.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Reasonable average is 28 but it will drop in city traffic.

Agree with Slimy though, it really doesn't have much leg room in the back especially if the front seats are right back. Lovely big boot but compromised space in the rear.

mrwall

Insurance

right i'm 33 11 years no claims 3 points which come off in march. i ran in the back of someone on 16th dec....i get a quote on a t reg v5 worth 1300 and what do the insurance quote me.....£720 fc.....my god my insurance just doubled, So i go for plan b a 150bhp honda accord 2.0 sport se and the insurance is £340....2 cars same value same priced parts if i crash but double for a V5 badge

What rules do insurance co's follow?

looks like a honda accord or a primera sport for me then cos all the passats and A4's all have 150000 miles on em!!

and no i wont but anything but jap or german!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I think you need to shop around a bit more. I'm 36, with 4 years NCD, no points but one claim. I paid £290 fully comp. Having said that, that was a new policy for the year, where moving my existing Astra 1.6 insurance to it cost £100 for three months cover. And the renewal price was going to be £305 for TPF&T!

Some insurance places just don't like the V5, i was getting quotes beginning with sixes and sevens. But More Than sorted me out with a good price.

I'm afraid you won't get any other VAG car for the price of a Toledo. It's just an unloved car for some bizarre reason, and because of that they are cheap as chips. A Passat V5 (which is roughly the same car) will cost more because of the VW badge. A good A4 will be similar.

Still, you're on the right lines for either Jap or Ger. My girlfriends car is a Nissan Almera, and apart from the odd bulb and a set of tyres, its been absolutely immaculate. Perhaps go for a Tino if you want a bigger car? The Primera Sports are good, but there are alot of things that can go wrong. Japs build good base cars, their optional extras aren't as good. You need to go to Honda or Toyota for top quality, but they attract the prices similar to VW and Audi.

And insurance companies don't follow rules, you should know that by now! :D Even NCD doesn't actually affect the premium the way it should. Try it online, put in varying amounts of NCD and i can guarantee they won't decrease by the 30%/10%/10% that they should do.

russ0r

right i'm 33 11 years no claims 3 points which come off in march. i ran in the back of someone on 16th dec....i get a quote on a t reg v5 worth 1300 and what do the insurance quote me.....£720 fc.....my god my insurance just doubled, So i go for plan b a 150bhp honda accord 2.0 sport se and the insurance is £340....2 cars same value same priced parts if i crash but double for a V5 badge

What rules do insurance co's follow?

£720 ouch...I'm paying less than that on my 170 and I'm only 24. :confused: Shop around tbh.

re. fuel economy it's definitely not as bad as some people make out. 35+ if I drive it like a grandad, 30-32 on motorways, 20-25 town.
Not as good as the 1.8T but then the 1.8T is a rattly 4-pot.

£1300 is a bargain though. Loads of car for the money.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members