Possible waterpump failure... HELP?

Jas Lad

hi guys my 04 LCR i think has the dreaded water pump failure

driving along itshoots to 120degree's then when on idle drops to 90 within 2 mins.

Now iv heard the coolant sensors can fail??

I drove the car for 2 miles this morning and it reached 110-120 i pulled over and opened the expansion tank and it was barely tepid, drove it home and it was at 120 and to be fair quite warm, but what worrys me is the main cooling fan doesnt even turn on???

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Yep dreaded waterpump failure.

Coolant sensor if it was faulty would give you an engine warning light so its not the sensor at fault.

Your looking at around £300-400 for cambelt and waterpump replacement. Waterpump is uprated from plastic to a metal impellor.

Jas Lad

yes i was thinking that, its jus out of warrenty by a handfull of days and going into Seat on monday for a gearbox problem, i MAY get it done as a goodwill gesture!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Anybody??

If the water pump fails! The water wont circulate! The water in the radiator at the moment is already cool so the fans wont come on. simple understanding! I had same problem with audi a3.

The new water pumps have metal blades which dont break after period of time!

Jas Lad

ah that makes sense now cause the rad pipes wernt that hot either! all getting trapped in the block then i see!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
do dealerships fit a metal impellared pump as replacment?surely if its a known failure to SEAT,then this should be a recall thing?same as coil packs,not all of them fail but when they do they will replace FOC?
got to be worth an ask with SEAT with it being so close to warranty .

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I ended up with another sodding plastic one as the metal ones are not genuine seat and they wouldnt give me 12 month parts warranty - how tru this is i dont know but didnt have time to argue......... ended up costing 343 quid with new belts and tensioners and pump.

If youre still not sure try getting heat out of the heaters - no water circulation = cold heater matrix = buggered pump!

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
ECP? I was more cheesed that they didnt tell me originally tbh, as long as it fails within 12 months if it is to go again that is...then i dont mind lol

Jas Lad

Heater on the car is grand... will see what happens on monday morning iv it booked in for one hours labour to diagnose a gearbox problem, but they wont be able to drive the car very far with the waterpump being fooked... can see this being alot of fun

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
i had metal fitted in my audi 1.8T from my local garage for a total cost £180 including the cambelt change as well!

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
17062 WATER PUMP ALHAM;CORD;IBIZA;LEON;TOLEDO 1.8>2.0 PETROL 21.50 Add

17018 WATER PUMP LEON 02>05 ASZ 19.75 Add
17053E WATER PUMP LEON 1.6 16V 99> (AUS) 23.50 Add
17054 WATER PUMP LEON 00> 1.6 AEH/AKL/APF 24.50 Add
17061 WATER PUMP LEON 2.3 (AGZ) 99> 23.50 Add
17062C WATER PUMP LEON 2000> AGR,AHF,AGP,ALH,ASV,AQM 19.75 Add

I take it for a LCR we need item no 17062 ?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.