Post ignition water pump

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
My LCR is fitted with the post ignition water pump. You can usually hear it working for several minutes after switch off.

Problem is I can't hear it working anymore. Also when I hold the large pipe which is routed to it, its not hot. So it looks like the pump has gone or there is an electical failure.

Has anyone had this problem? What damage can be done to the engine if its not working? I have read the pumps are about £30 and looks simple to fit?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The post ignition pump is there to cool the turbo, so if you're not convinced it's working, make 100% sure you let the car warm down properly before turning the engine off.

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
yes its the pump that stays on after the engine is running. Mine seems to have stopped working. Just wondering if anone has had to replace thiers, or it turned out to be a connection or something?

I have read that a fuse on top of the battery is prone to going and this could cause the problem???

Last edited:

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
For those of you who have this problem, this is how i fixed mine.... 2 minute job.....

1.Locate the pump. Its clamped to the O/S of the radiator. You will see the electrical connector.
2.Now start the engine and turn it off. Its best to do it from cold as your hands are going near the fan! This will activate the pump switch.
3.Now try and move the connector. Mine needed to be pushed down and then the pump started, but as soon as I let go it stopped.
4. Now remove the connector and make sure its clean. You will now see the two pins on the pump side. With a suiatble tool (I used a screw driver) bend the pins in the opposite direction to that of what was required to make the pump work with the connector on. Just bend them 1-2mm.
5. Now re-fit the connector. I should now be working without you having to hold it.

Job Done.:)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.