power loss with broken turbo seals

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
When my stock ko3s blew the seals there was no noticeable drop in performance. It blew the oil seals internally on the cold side so it did begin to fill the intercooler with oil.

Only way I'd noticed it was from a small rainbow under the car on a wet morning, traced it back to the boost pipework and then found a small puddle of oil in the pipes. Oops :doh:

I did get it sorted pretty sharpish though. If you're driving around for a while then it will lose performance from a loss of cooling effect in the SMICs as the driver's side one fills with oil, and also from the octane reducing effect of burning oil in the combustion cycle. (dilutes the petrol).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
Funny you should say that??
Mine is down on power with no fault codes at all and I fitted a maf and a n75 valve, just fitted tfs silcon hoses to intercoolers on my lcr on the passengers side I found a tea spoon worth of oil in the hose is this bad??? Had my lcr run up on the rollers 3 weeks ago and it came back at 218bhp it's a 225 bam with a stage 1 remap, so its got me worried! Should be 260bhp odd?? Any ideas

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Oil in the pipes is normal and cant really be avoided, when there is excessive oil in the system i.e throttle body coated in loads of oil etc a tea spoon of oil isnt much really you just have to keep ontop of cleaning the system and throttle body.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.