Primary User Problems

John Wick

May 12, 2022
I had the update at the dealership today from 1672 to 1896. That all went smoothly.

I had to sign back into the car with my Cupra ID, again no problems.

When it asks me if I want to become primary user, I say yes, but I only ever get a spinning arrow.

The cupra connect app, again I can login. But it informs me that the car has been deactivated and I need to reactivate, I agree and it informs me to do this via the car (register the 2 keys process} which is exactly what I am unable to do in the car.

I have no idea what to do next?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I can't help directly but I wonder if CUPRA CONNECT can reset/delete your account to allow you to then re-register?
Might be worth a quick call or email.
00800 6000 4020 or,
[email protected].

I tried them pre 1896 for a navigation issue and they were very helpful.
Alternatively you could try CUPRA Customer Service on 0800 049 7106.

Hope you can get it sorted (y)

John Wick

May 12, 2022
The weird part is that it appears that the cupra connect part is working fine (i think).

I can login to the car with my ID and also the app, it shows me in the app as a guest user, which it will as i am not able to do the 2 key thingy. Problem appears to lie solely with the car, again i login with my cupra connect ID and it say hello John...all good.

But when i come to accept becoming primary user, its like the system hangs and i just get the spinning arrow and please wait, all i need to do to complete the process is the unlock key step, but it never gets to it, not sure if i should just leave it sitting at the spinning arrow, but it should do it in at least a couple of minutes, i have tried in various locations, in case it was a signal issue?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
A strange one indeed and it must be that big update you've just had. A trip back to the dealers perhaps?

The reason I thought the CUPRA CONNECT folk might help is that they may be able to remotely reset your primary user account in your car so you can start afresh? I guess you could end up losing your mpg, favourites info. in the app but worth a try maybe?

Or could you try this I found in the CUPRA faq's about deleting primary user:

"Go to the Infotainment menu in the car and, under "User", press "Delete user/Restore to Factory settings". This will delete all your data from the car and from CUPRA backend. This process is a requirement in case of transfer of ownership."

Please don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong though :ROFLMAO:

John Wick

May 12, 2022
That option wasn't available as no primary user assigned, tried a factory reset, still no luck......part of me thinks is it a CUPRA/SEAT server issue?

Reactions: TollyBhoy

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I think you might be right! I hope you'll post on here once you eventually get it sorted. Seems like quite a few folk are having the same issue across the VAG range. No obvious solution to it that I can find anywhere.

John Wick

May 12, 2022
I think you might be right! I hope you'll post on here once you eventually get it sorted. Seems like quite a few folk are having the same issue across the VAG range. No obvious solution to it that I can find anywhere.
Thats interesting to hear, I did do a broader search for issues on Google, but couldn't find anything? Do you have any links or similar where it's being discussed?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
There's one here:
VW primary user issues
And a few in this thread:
Golf Mk8 updates
The first is from last year so may not be related to the latest software, though I'd guess that VW gets their updates before us. However, in both threads It seems the users just kept on trying and it eventually worked.

Jul 11, 2022
After updating the software from version 1672 to 1896, there were problems similar to others - unable to log in as the main user, shop and information icons disappear.
The workshop cannot fix it, it wants to exchange multimedia for a new unit.
I thought that maybe during the update the settings file was damaged or misconfigured.
I connected ODB11, backed up the 09, 19, 5f, 75 units and asked people on the local forum to back up these units from working cars upgraded to 1896.

So I found few deferences in adaptations in 5f unit:
function_configuration_pso
pso function
my car: Deactivated
valid value: Activated

Vehicle function list BAP
infotainmentsettings profile 0x50
my car: Not activated
valid value: activated

Market_and_brand_specific_preInstSet_of_webapps
preinstallation set values
my car: preinstallation do not start wac
valid value: preinstallation set 0
( this value is valid for Poland, maybe in other markets is another - I don't know that )

parkingsystem_video_input
carrier resolution
my car: not active
valid value: 1362x656

The differences in other units are not significant - they result from the configuration of the cars

My procedure:
1) reset to factory settings from menu
2) change values to valid
3) reboot infotainment
4) after restart add new user, login using current ( registered ) user/password or create new user
5) and most importaint part :) - activate as primary user. After pressing button you have to wait a few seconds (the white circle is spinning), next the screen with the procedure with 2 keys appears. Success :)
6) now, online services work again, mobile application works

For repair you need odb11 pro/VCDS. This operation required SFD unlock.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Agnes.Surrey

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
After updating the software from version 1672 to 1896, there were problems similar to others - unable to log in as the main user, shop and information icons disappear.
The workshop cannot fix it, it wants to exchange multimedia for a new unit.
I thought that maybe during the update the settings file was damaged or misconfigured.
I connected ODB11, backed up the 09, 19, 5f, 75 units and asked people on the local forum to back up these units from working cars upgraded to 1896.

So I found few deferences in adaptations in 5f unit:
function_configuration_pso
pso function
my car: Deactivated
valid value: Activated

Vehicle function list BAP
infotainmentsettings profile 0x50
my car: Not activated
valid value: activated

Market_and_brand_specific_preInstSet_of_webapps
preinstallation set values
my car: preinstallation do not start wac
valid value: preinstallation set 0
( this value is valid for Poland, maybe in other markets is another - I don't know that )

parkingsystem_video_input
carrier resolution
my car: not active
valid value: 1362x656

The differences in other units are not significant - they result from the configuration of the cars

My procedure:
1) reset to factory settings from menu
2) change values to valid
3) reboot infotainment
4) after restart add new user, login using current ( registered ) user/password or create new user
5) and most importaint part :) - activate as primary user. After pressing button you have to wait a few seconds (the white circle is spinning), next the screen with the procedure with 2 keys appears. Success :)
6) now, online services work again, mobile application works

For repair you need odb11 pro/VCDS. This operation required SFD unlock.

Enjoy :)
Well, having the same problem as you and OP, I tried your solution, not the same order but it worked. Also did something I hadn't done before so it may also be because of that.
1. Made the changes
2. Reset to factory settings
3. Reboot infotainment
4. Added an all new user (not my previous primary user) which I couldn't before because it stalled on the turning wheel and now it worked.
5. Tried becoming primary user, procedure ok. Tried adding previous main user, worked. Tried getting the previous main user primary again, procedure ok.
6. Legal notices are back and also the store.

I'll try tomorrow to reset again but adding first my previous main user to sort out if this could be the real problem and not the coding changes.
I'll report on it after

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
just get back to it, these settings indeed have an effect on the ability to have the store and register new user and primary user.
Just to check, I've turned them off and I can't do anything again.
So you did find the culprit.

Sep 22, 2022
I also have this problem with my Cupra.

Can't sign in as primary user, eventually signs in as a guest and don't have access to the "User" menu option to make any changes.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Widil

Jul 5, 2021

Can't sign in as primary user, eventually signs in as a guest and don't have access to the "User" menu option to make any changes.

2 solutions:
Having your garage reset some CAN bus like the OP

Coding it back right with an OBDeleven dongle like said in previous posts (the coding is there)

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
What do you actually get by using the primary user (as opposed to guest)? I got sick of mine keeping selecting the guest profile instead of the PU so in the end I just removed the primary user and let it select Guest. I don't use any of the app features because it takes ages to load and then once it does load you can't trust what it tells you anyway.

Last edited:

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022

Happened to me yesterday, showed me a msg saying I had to re enter my Cupra id email and code since I hadn't used the Cupra app in a while (not true as I check it often just out of curiosity) so I took it to the dealer this morning, couldn't get connected as primary user no matter what, so we had to reboot and use it since as a guest, didn't have time to bother any further as I'm going on a trip tomorrow and needed my full radio and android auto fully operational and fortunately all work just fine again. Since yesterday I could not have access to my favourites, the sound functions, and who knows what else. Im happy now as a guest and dont know if I will ever go back to primary user as I will always be weary of having this Cupra id messing the system again. Lucky it happened yesterday and not on my trip otherwise I would be cursing all the way.

Aug 8, 2021
I had the update at the dealership today from 1672 to 1896. That all went smoothly.

I had to sign back into the car with my Cupra ID, again no problems.

When it asks me if I want to become primary user, I say yes, but I only ever get a spinning arrow.

The cupra connect app, again I can login. But it informs me that the car has been deactivated and I need to reactivate, I agree and it informs me to do this via the car (register the 2 keys process} which is exactly what I am unable to do in the car.

I have no idea what to do next?
I don’t know if you solved this but I had the same this week and found a solution…. The ‘nominated service partner’ in the app had to verify my identity on the system and after that I was able to re activate myself as the primary user.

Aug 8, 2021
Happened to me yesterday, showed me a msg saying I had to re enter my Cupra id email and code since I hadn't used the Cupra app in a while (not true as I check it often just out of curiosity) so I took it to the dealer this morning, couldn't get connected as primary user no matter what, so we had to reboot and use it since as a guest, didn't have time to bother any further as I'm going on a trip tomorrow and needed my full radio and android auto fully operational and fortunately all work just fine again. Since yesterday I could not have access to my favourites, the sound functions, and who knows what else. Im happy now as a guest and dont know if I will ever go back to primary user as I will always be weary of having this Cupra id messing the system again. Lucky it happened yesterday and not on my trip otherwise I would be cursing all the way.
I don’t know if you solved this but I had the same this week and found a solution…. The ‘nominated service partner’ in the app had to verify my identity on the system and after that I was able to re activate myself as the primary user.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
No, I didn't do anything as it works fine just like that, I guess I don't want to go through having my infotainment shut down for that reason and not been able to do anything on my own. Now, when service time comes I will see if I can reactivate it although by that time I think the free ride will be off and I would have to be charged to use the app and surely this is something I would not do, its not worth it.