private reg's

rickmyster

May 9, 2005
i've been considering getting 1 for a while but theres a little doubt in my mind wether to or not, dunno why it's there lol but it is. whats peoples opions on these?

paul26982

thing is i would rather spend the cash on mods, get some stamped plates, even space the letters out abit if you want, maks a massive difference and cheap

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Don't see the point myself, think they are a waste of money. Plus I would rather people not remember me or my car. Private plates catch attention, sometimes for the wrong reasons.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Don't see the point myself, think they are a waste of money. Plus I would rather people not remember me or my car. Private plates catch attention, sometimes for the wrong reasons.

i have a private plate, at times i wish i hadn't.
wife is pleased as i can not be a nauhty boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

ANDY

warren_cox

Back from the dead
and they are a pain in the arse to move on. If you buy a car specific one they only tend to last for one car, then they aren't worth keeping. You end up selling them off and losing most of your money doing the plate transfer.

I wouldn't bother again.

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
I have a private plate, again got it for my 25th birthday and I like it.... Please do not know the age of my car. :)

I kept the plate on retention when I got the leon so people knew it was new for the first year..... sad I know but will probably never have another brand new car so once is ok right? :D

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I think there is a major difference between 'good' private number plates and 'cheap' private plates....the cheap plates with squahed up letters and bolts covers in black etc look Chav, but a short understated private reg can look great.

A family round the corner form me all have a series of very short plates (18G, 36F etc) they have chopped the end off the plate (not a silly amount) just made them 3/4 length and they look pretty good IMO.

My dad has one of the A* XYZ type plates and TBH it does nothing for me :shrug:

I've got one and i love it.

A007.jpg

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i've got one on my LCR and to be honest it was a bit of a ball-ache to transfer the plate over from my previous car but there is a DVLA office near to me (luton) so it didn't take too long to sort out.

stives1.jpg

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
i've got one on my LCR and to be honest it was a bit of a ball-ache to transfer the plate over from my previous car but there is a DVLA office near to me (luton) so it didn't take too long to sort out.

stives1.jpg

i have had a private plate for 12 yrs.
last august bought my first SEAT.
had a lot of problems transferring my plate, not from garage but from insurance company. been with them for 12 yrs. garage got involved and sorted it out for me.

Jamesemt

Oct 10, 2004
Hull
I've got a private plate - first initial, followed by the year I met the wife (plate was an anniversary present) followed by the first three letters of my surname:

J** ELV

BTW - never disclose your full plate and vehicle, car cloning DOES exist :-o

jmcvicar

Jan 21, 2005
A geordie dahn sarf
I've got a private plate - first initial, followed by the year I met the wife (plate was an anniversary present) followed by the first three letters of my surname:

J** ELV

I must admit, those type of plates do nothing for me. It means nothing to anyone other than you/your wife/your close mates.

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII

J** ELV

Ditto - matching set his n hers - so when they are on the drive side by side its quite cute :blink:

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
I have a private plate, again got it for my 25th birthday and I like it.... Please do not know the age of my car. :)

I kept the plate on retention when I got the leon so people knew it was new for the first year..... sad I know but will probably never have another brand new car so once is ok right? :D

Hee Hee I did that when i bought the Leon left it on the 54 plate then transferred it on the 1st of march!!

I like my plate but its matter of personal choice - never paid that much for it £250 but dont think i would want to spend fortunes on one.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.