Problem With Electric Windows

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
Hi,

I'm a bit gutted, I went and collected a 2003 LCR on Sat; I checked all the bits recommended to check when buying an LCR.... I wound down all the windows and wound them up again to check the windows all worked fine.
Later on in the day, I take my friend out for a spin, and she decides to wind down her window, then when she goes to wind it up again there's just a horrible crunching sound :-( ...Luckily we managed to get the window to stay up by pushing it back up to the top, so we did

I know this is a common problem on these cars, so I thought I'd try and find a guide on how to fix it and the parts you need to buy, but I can't find one, is there a guide, if so, where is it?

Cheers,

damiwahn

If it's a common problem then seat should know about it and will have had to fix a lot under warranty have you tried ringing the local seat dealership to see what they say?

Last edited by a moderator:

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
If it's a common problem then seat should know about it and will have had to fix a lot under warranty have you tried ringing the local seat dealership to see what they say?

I know the problem is a common problem on VW lifter mechanisms because I know people with Golfs and Leons who've suffered the same symptons; the motor is fine because I can hear it working when you press the switch.

The problem is the little plastic clip that the cables tie into to pull the window up and down has snapped, so the cable looses its tension and when you press the button to wind the window up, the cable is pulled on and because there's no tension the whole mecahnism ends up tangling the cables in a big mess, so you need to replace the lifter bit, should take me a few hours to do, was just wandering if there was a guide on how to do it.

If I took it to the Seat dealership to get fixed it costs about £300!!! I just ordered the spare part today (should arrive tomorrow), costs £50, and takes a couple of hours to do yourself!

damiwahn

I know the problem is a common problem on VW lifter mechanisms because I know people with Golfs and Leons who've suffered the same symptons; the motor is fine because I can hear it working when you press the switch.

The problem is the little plastic clip that the cables tie into to pull the window up and down has snapped, so the cable looses its tension and when you press the button to wind the window up, the cable is pulled on and because there's no tension the whole mecahnism ends up tangling the cables in a big mess, so you need to replace the lifter bit, should take me a few hours to do, was just wandering if there was a guide on how to do it.

If I took it to the Seat dealership to get fixed it costs about £300!!! I just ordered the spare part today (should arrive tomorrow), costs £50, and takes a couple of hours to do yourself!

Okay. Do you know if this is common on ibizas aswell? Seat dealerships are such a rip off on labour. Much better to do it yourself. Good luck with it and let me know how it goes :)

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
Okay. Do you know if this is common on ibizas aswell? Seat dealerships are such a rip off on labour. Much better to do it yourself. Good luck with it and let me know how it goes :)

Hiya mate, I've still not got round to fixing mine yet, was going to give it a bash at the weekend, I'll post up a DIY guide, have you managed to get yours fixed?

blue_haddock

Its not a particularly difficult job, just fiddly really.

blue_haddock

No it is different to a golf. It is the same as a leon though.