Problems with Engine Heat/Temp on TDI FR

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Hi all,

Recently my engine's been running really really warm (probably warm enough to cook an egg on it, haven't tried - would it void warranty if I did? :p ) even though the engine temperature indicator on the dash says 90 (which is the normal temp for a diesel engine).

Today I did a 30min journey across London and about halfway through I could feel heat blowing onto my face and a strange plastic heat smell - kinda what you smell and feel if you put your face in front of a hairdryer on low heat (kids, don't do this at home!!).
After a quick look it seemed that the heat was coming through the air vents and the front windshield vent.
Bit strange since I didn't have my A/C or blowers on - which means that the air must be coming through from the engine somehow. :confused:

Anyways, when I got home I had a quick feel around the front of the dash and right at the front where the windscreen vents are it was extremely hot to the touch!!

I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, and a bit confused as to why the temp indicator says everything's running at normal temp. :confused:

And another thing, I've had it 5+ months driven about 5.5k in the car and never once have I had to fill up the oil or the coolant..... the coolant still shows full (actually when I got the car from the dealer it was over Full) and the oil is still between the two reader marks. Is this common with other FR owners?

Whereas my old Mk II Leon Sport TDI had to be topped up with oil every 1k and coolant every 2-3k......

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm gonna be booking it into the garage tomorrow for it to be looked at.

Oh, and while we're on the topic of engines...... does anyone else experience a funny 'ook ook' type noise if they've been driving in traffic with a lot of clutch usage?
Seems that this noise appears when I tap the accelerator gently to bring the revs from 0.9k (idle) to just above 1k....... and also when I'm putting the clutch down to change gears.....

Funny thing is, once you're on open road and doing a bit of speed it disappears...?!? :confused:

Not to mention the engine sounds really rough between 1.5k and 2k rpm.....

*sigh*

I just wanna drive my car without any issues.......... it's a joy to drive and these small niggles really ruins the experience!! >_<"

Last edited:

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
When you say that it sounds really rought between 1.5k and 2k..does it sound like something's rattling/vibrating against something else? in the engine bay, but quite low down.?

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
When you say that it sounds really rought between 1.5k and 2k..does it sound like something's rattling/vibrating against something else? in the engine bay, but quite low down.?

nah, nothing's rattling... I know about some ppls experience with the jack point.

The engine just sounds really rough when you accelerate between 1.5k-2k..... it's not a smooth engine sound..... I know someone mentioned having a tractor type noise from their engine in another topic on the forum, but it's not exactly the same problem.

Anyways, looking to book it into the garage, see if they can find anything wrong with it.

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
When the A/c is off warm air does blow through the air vents.
The noise when you blip the throttle will be the N75 valve - dealer should be able to replace in 5 mins.
Rough engine - could be several things, on mine when the dpf is regenerating the engine is rough till about 2K but thats like once a fortnight or so.
Mine uses about a litre of oil in 10k but no water.

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
When the A/c is off warm air does blow through the air vents.
The noise when you blip the throttle will be the N75 valve - dealer should be able to replace in 5 mins.
Rough engine - could be several things, on mine when the dpf is regenerating the engine is rough till about 2K but thats like once a fortnight or so.
Mine uses about a litre of oil in 10k but no water.

Well finally managed to get the noise going long enough to take it to the garage to show them the problem.

Seems the guy narrowed it down to this part:

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

Is this the N75 valve you're talking about?

According to the mechanic, this valve is causing the noise when I blip the throttle.
Anyone got a clue what it is?
Mechanic says it's part of the EGR (Exhuast Gas Recycler).......

He was telling me that it was common for the heat to come through the vents if the engine's been worked hard because the turbocharger and DPF are located at the rear of the engine compartment and generate the most heat.....

bham_fr

i too get the hot air/vents in my tfsi - i dont think its anything to worry about - just put on the econ for 20 seconds and turn it off again - cools things down.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
A search would revel that these cars get hot, hence the need for felt on the inside of the bonnet, also all the silver heat lining around the engine bay / under the car where the exchaust runs.

DPF regeneration works at around 350 degrees i believe, so they do get hot!.

I'd worry more about a car in Greece when its 50 degrees+ outside coping with the heats involved.

As long as your needle stays at 90 then its fine :)

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
hi thats the same valve that i have had trouble with its the turbo solenoid valve , im just waiting to have my second one fitted its lasted about 8000 miles if you blip the throttle it dose a mooing noise

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
hi thats the same valve that i have had trouble with its the turbo solenoid valve , im just waiting to have my second one fitted its lasted about 8000 miles if you blip the throttle it dose a mooing noise

Yup..... I'm getting the same noise...... Hmm, maybe I should get mine replaced under warranty!
Done about 7k in my car......

stokeballoon

Dec 29, 2006
Deepest Darkest Somerset
The heating system when used in climate or Econ setting and then switched off, remains in the same position.

So if you had the climate set to blow onto the screen, and then switched it off, the flap valves would remain in the same setting, allowing un-metered air out of the vents. Obviously with no fan assist.

DR

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.