Project B7 420-R. Base Car ‘12 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
The OEM B7 RS4 alloy wheels, as purchased, pre-refurb. They had been rattle-canned black. Apart from me not liking black wheels, the finish was poor, and they were kerbed too:

P9FTycn.jpg

LVbddYG.jpg

n9mvzqL.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
One aspect of newer Audi’s I do like, is the rear indicators with the “scrolling” operation. I built a circuit that would control LED’s in the same way, and it worked perfectly. The only issue with running this on a B6, is the short tail lamps. Arranging LED’s within the stock housing would look wrong.

Going to the B7’s split tail lamps means I can utilise my circuits, and they would drive a line of LED’s in the same scrolling manner.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
This build looks like it's going to be a real treat at the end! It's not very often I see something of this magnitude.

Do you have a rough idea on how long this will take you?

Unfortunately I don't have anything smart or helpful to say as it would only confirm my shocking car knowledge lol

Hope all goes well

Cheers

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Hat off to you sir

I wouldnt have the balls to attempt this but i have always wanted to do even a simple engine swap

Good luck with the build

Definitely following this as my bedtime read

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
These will be the final pictures of my B6 A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport.

Before she gets parted out. All I will be retaining will be the Quattro drivetrain - rear subframe, differential, rear axles, driveshaft, fuel tank. These will be required to bolt up to the Seat Exeo ST.

The early days, with the original 17” Sport wheels:

4MVdrNc.jpg

GzFO7o3.jpg

Y8JxCBh.jpg

TSFvBJp.jpg

NVBfH1c.jpg

The later days, with original B7 S4 18” wheel:

MUKy4r0.jpg

4BI4kwj.jpg

9slGEpT.jpg

4EJo0Z5.jpg

Mbr01ZQ.jpg

u91HP4j.jpg

auVR29w.jpg

ZpD31z7.jpg

d6fcKDC.jpg

Reactions: Leeoncupra

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Part of my rebuild involves replacing the crank.

The engine ran well enough, though there was a knocking at idle from the bottom end. Turns out #5 big end shell was worn, but not spun. I purchased a 2002 C5 S6 crank. This allows the use of 8-bolt flywheels, giving more options. This will be paired with an uprated, full-face B5 RS4 clutch.

I could have gone with a flywheel that takes a B7 RS4 clutch, and stayed with a 10-bolt crank, but it won’t provide the grip I need.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Transmission mounts are often overlooked, due to their location. Engine mounts are often easier to see, and reach. Transmission mounts made of rubber get oiled up, go through several heat cycles, due to their close proximity to the CAT’s.

Most sloppy shifts are as a result of bad transmission mounts. I have sorted out the mounts to use here. Differential and subframe mounts will follow. I just need to purchase one stock mount of each, and get them made by Vibra Technics, or matched up from their current inventory.

Choice of transmission mounts from Vibra Technics:

Jr7euJh.jpg

q66oxWc.jpg

JnJtc3Y.jpg

E655sm3.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I’m looking at tubular front subframes, in particular the one built by AK Motorsport. Has anyone used one of these, or know anyone who does? Any feedback on it?

eWRsPvE.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
As with all my V8 swaps, this one will be as OEM as possible.

I try to use as little aftermarket content as possible, and this includes wheels. I have a set of fully refurbished genuine 19” B7 RS4 wheels, but I don’t know how these will look with the B8.5 front end. I am looking at genuine 2016 RS7 20” wheels, or other Audi wheels in the size 20” range.

I have also located a printing firm, that handles wraps, screen printing, business stationery, car badges / decals etc.

I will be having my original data sticker reproduced, in the same VAG-style, down to the paper, size and font. I will have the options amended as required, to match the engine, interior options, color etc. So all the updated PR-codes will be relevant to my car and it’s build.

My only concession to a non OEM identification plate will be an anodised silver or gold plaque, which will be fitted to the front panel, alongside the original Audi stickers warning about sudden fan operation / high voltage ignition system. This will be unique to my car, as I doubt I will ever build another.

I will not be badging it as a Seat or Audi, as it will be neither. A new logo will be created, along with new custom model badges for the grille and right of the tailgate, where you usually find an S4 / RS4 badge. Font will be similar though...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.