Project B7 420-R. Base Car ‘12 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I’ll be securing B7 420-R - my way.

As part of my build, I’m installing a C5 RS6 motor. In the course of getting it running, I’m having the C5 RS6 IMMO turned off, and installing a B7 RS4 instrument cluster. So, anti-theft is reduced. I have looked into options to introduce new layers of security for my car.

As well as being a Mechanical Engineer, I’m also a certified Electronics and Telecom Engineer.

I have purchased a set of D3 A8 door handles, from a model with Advanced Key. These models have a smart key with Proximity Sensor. You approach the car with the key on your person, the Certification ECU senses the key, you touch the sensor on the driver’s door handle, an unlock signal is sent to the CCM, and to the engine ECU. The doors are unlocked, and the engine can then be started via push button / fingerprint. Voila!

Now of course, I’m not looking to install the D3’s Smart Entry and Start into my B7. It can be done, but it’s a very long process, that involves install other systems, that the Smart Entry and Start system depends on. Not viable.

I will be using the D3 handles, but with my own home-built Smart Entry system. And I will be using my Debit / Credit cards and a card reader to enable starting the engine. This will be via my 4-digit PIN or Contactless, using 3 different cards, just in case one fails.

I will of course have a manual override, using a series of buttons, pressed in a given sequence, in a pre-set time in the unlikely event all 3 debit cards fail.

I’ll keep you guys posted, but don’t expect too much detail, for obvious reasons.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Updated list - June 14th, 2019:

B7 2013 SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech
B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.
B6 A4 / S4 front sway bar C-links.
B7 RS4 Wheels - 9.0" x 19" ET 29.
Built B6 3.0 / C5 2.5 V6 TDI 01E 6-speed gearbox.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 4.11:1 rear differential.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 01E shifter.

Brembo 6-piston front calipers, rotors TBC.
Brembo rear calipers, and Brembo parking brake calipers, rotors TBC.
B6 S4 KW V3 or Eibach Pro-Street adjustable coilovers.
B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro front axles and 01E gearbox output flanges (130mm).
Vibratechnics aluminium Motorsport engine mounts (will work for my 3.0 V6, and the D3 4.2 V8 40V).
Custom V8 40V solid billet steel flywheel.
C5 RS6 BCY engine, complete.
C6 S6 (ANK) crankshaft.
B5 A4 Quattro front subframe.

B6 custom solid rear differential mounts.
B7 RS4 OEM complete exhaust (cat-back) with active rear mufflers.
B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper.
B6 RS4-style hood grille.
X
B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 rear door, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 rear door, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 front bumper (as donor for the corners).
B6 S4 Xenon headlamps.
X
B7 RS4 front wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 rear wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 RS4 Avant black headlining with all matching trims and sun visors.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
X
B7 RS4 Convertible instrument cluster.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.
B8 S4 aluminium mirrors, with integral LED side repeaters.
Custom V8 40V cast iron exhaust manifold, side-mounted T3 flange.
Custom V8 40V cast iron exhaust manifold, top-mounted T3 flange.
D3 A8 V8 non-FSI valve covers.

C5 RS6 refurbished / updated intercoolers.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Us0Rg4U.jpg

n1HcDMZ.jpg

MYWd2Lo.jpg

f5vnxeb.jpg

kUVwHZc.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So my project has been a bit neglected, as I’ve been working abroad, only coming home every other weekend.

At last, my foreign contract is over, just 2 weeks left. The first thing I’m going to do is hire a panel van, and make the trip to go pick up my C5 RS6 motor. Fitting this into a B7 is uncharted territory, just like it was when I first installed an 077 V8 into a B5 all those years ago (2008).

Back then, I purchased a cheap B5 1.8 N/A auto as an R&D car. I am going to do the same this time too, buying a cheap B6 to install the BCY motor, ironing out all the bugs I’m sure to encounter. Once I’m happy, I’ll transfer the lot to my Exeo ST.

So, I’m on the look out for a rough B6/7. Let the work commence!

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I think you'll have enough stuff to make a live video event lol not sure how many people would try it after you though haha

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So I’m on the lookout for a dirt cheap B6 A4.

I’m not really bothered about condition or spec. It can be any engine, auto or manual, FWD or Quattro. All it needs to have is some MOT, even if just 2 months remaining.

It’s just so I can tax and drive it from wherever it is to my garage. It’s a test bed, and it’ll be disposed of after it’s served it’s purpose, so it needs to be dirt cheap. Spares or repair is fine, as long as it’s got an MOT and can be driven.

If anyone on here has such a car, I’m interested.

Thanks guys!

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Ah, Matt.

Those are pretty old. I broke up the B6, which was the original base car. I bought it with a busted engine. It was tip, so in the interim I bought a similar B6 3.0 6MT saloon, as a donor to get the 3.0 Avant tip running.

The SEAT Exeo is the car that will have all the work performed on.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I’ve had quite a few queries over confusion as to what car is the actual base car for Project B7 420-R. I’ll clarify things with this post.

The Akoya Silver B6 was a 3.0 Quattro 6MT donor, as the Denim Blue B6 3.0 Avant Quattro was tip with a busted engine. I used the Akoya as an interim donor to get the Denim running, and manual swapped.

I intended to fit a SEAT Exeo dash into the B6. But I kept looking at SEAT Exeo’s, and liking what I saw. I also gave my Denim car a thorough underbody inspection, and saw a fair bit of corrosion. That decided it.

My project was going to live on in a newer shell. I wanted the newest car I could get, and it had to be a Sport Tech. This is where the 2013 SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech came in.

Pictures of the cars:

5yLDUqJ.jpg

jNToUQd.jpg

MXj06xi.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Yesterday, I picked up my BCY engine, using my Avant.

It handled the 230kg weight with ease, though I was conscious of the extra drag. And I took corners with care - it’s all too easy to put a side window through.

67 miles later, the engine was unloaded into my storage unit. I’ll be doing the required maintenance - belts, water pump, rigid coolant pipe between oil cooler and block will be replaced with an aluminium BUFKIN version. The plastic original is prone to fracture, due to becoming brittle with heat cycles.

I will be replacing the stock BCY valve covers with BFM ones, after getting them painted in the car’s chosen colour. Coil packs will be replaced with R8 red coilpacks.

All that is currently required is an R&D B6/B7.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
At last, I have managed to secure a 2002 B6 R&D car. It’s a Denim Blue 1.9 TDI PD 130 Sport Sedan.

This will form the basis of the test rig for my C5 RS6 engine install into my B7 Avant. I will remove the existing 1.9 TDI PD 130, and install my BCY motor. I’m not going to attempt wiring it up in the B6, to get it running. The purpose of the R&D car is solely to get the actual install buttoned up, in terms of the exhaust manifolds, and turbochargers clearing the transmission tunnel.

I’m picking up the car on the 27th. It’s a flight away, and a 5 hour / 300 mile drive back. Should be a fun road trip, as long as it doesn’t break down.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.