Qi charging. Can you turn it off?

SEALen1

Apr 18, 2021
Sweden
On my last long haul I had my phone on the Qi charger while using wireless Android Auto. The phone became so hot that I started getting stutters in the Spotify music and freezing of the Waze navigation. Removing the phone and letting it cool down solved this. It tried it again but again it became too hot to function normally. I then connected it to a god old fashion QC 3,0 charger I have connected to the 12V outlet (short cabel so the phone rested in the drink holder). It charged and kept running without problem from there on.

So my question is if there is some way to turn the Qi charging off in the menus? I think I have looked everywhere but I might have missed it anyway as there are soo many :)

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
No, I reckon it's just a generic Qi charging module.

It might have its own fuse but either likely to be connected with (share a fuse) the 12v socket or even the 5v supply from the head unit (connected with the USB-c ports), the only way to turn it off would be to take the dash apart to disconnect it.

Thier might be a setting on the ODB to turn it off for lower spec cars but more than likely they don't fit the qi module

SEALen1

Apr 18, 2021
Sweden
No, I reckon it's just a generic Qi charging module.

It might have its own fuse but either likely to be connected with (share a fuse) the 12v socket or even the 5v supply from the head unit (connected with the USB-c ports), the only way to turn it off would be to take the dash apart to disconnect it.

Thier might be a setting on the ODB to turn it off for lower spec cars but more than likely they don't fit the qi module
Yeah, I had to pay extra to get the Qi charging. It's great normally. It takes about two hours before this starts happening. Running all those apps and also Qi charging in that closed of little bin make for a toasty phone (I have a Samsung S10e). Maybe I could retrofit a small usb fan for cooling there :D

Tell

Staff member
Yeah, I had to pay extra to get the Qi charging. It's great normally. It takes about two hours before this starts happening. Running all those apps and also Qi charging in that closed of little bin make for a toasty phone (I have a Samsung S10e). Maybe I could retrofit a small usb fan for cooling there :D
Feels like the old Amstrad days of computing with your own fan since they never fitted one :). You could perhaps place the phone somewhere else ?.

SEALen1

Apr 18, 2021
Sweden
Yes of course but when the phone is in the designated place it will be "connected" to the cars roof antenna for better reception.

I have now tested having it connected with a cable while placing it in the holder. And this seems to help. The car display still says qi charging but the phone does not overheat when the usb cable is connected also. So problem solved :)

• Love
Reactions: Tell

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Yes of course but when the phone is in the designated place it will be "connected" to the cars roof antenna for better reception.
Doesn't make a lot of difference, mine works perfectly well in the thigh pocket of my work trousers. As to stopping the Qi phone charging, try putting the phone on the mat face down. Works for me.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members