Question about ACC again

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
I'm still trying to get used to my car and there's still things that baffle and frustrate me and ACC is one of them.

In the infotainment system I have the distance set as very close and yesterday on the motorway it was leaving probably 100 metres between me and the car in front. Sometimes it would ease off the gas at 200 metres away. If I adjusted the distance on the wheel so the yellow line was as far away from the car as possible it would then get closer. But this should be the same setting as very close so why does it change? If you set yours to very close how far away from the car in front will it keep you? I've tried a few times now and it still doesn't work as I'd expect. For me very close should be the minimum 2 second distance on the motorway, not so far away you struggle to read the number plate. :ROFLMAO:

I think it might have to go back to be recalibrated unless there's something I can try at home. I did try to search but I struggled to find my actual issue.

Last edited:

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
It has a mind of its own regarding the distance. Sometimes if I am following someone at a distance the warning appears on the dash that I am too close, yet I'm miles away, and other time I can be right up someones arse and get no warning. It's the same as the collision thing, when the car audibly warns you and the strip along the top of the dash lights up red. I usually get the car having a panic attack if someone turns off left or right about 100 metres away with no need to brake or even lift off, yet some clown pulled out right in front of me last month and I had to swerve onto the opposite side of the road, and the car never did a thing - no warnings, no bongs, nothing. Mind you at the moment I'm forgetting what mine even looks like, as it has been at the dealers broken for a week now, with one unhappy customer and complaints escalated with Cupra, but I feel that is for a separate post if and when things get resolved.

Reactions: Supa Koopa

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Thanks for your input it's appreciated. (y)

In some ways I'm happy to not be alone and therefore not being an idiot, but in lots of other ways it's frustrating to hear others are having the same problems as this means it's not an easy fix and we could therefore be stuck with it. :(

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
No worries. I think they are foibles we’re unfortunately going to have to live with, even if some of them are annoying, although when these things mount up we shouldn’t have to live with them.

Reactions: Supa Koopa

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Use OBDeleven to activate the standard cruise control as well as ACC and speed limiter.
I find standard unassisted cruise control far more relaxing to use.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I'm still trying to get used to my car and there's still things that baffle and frustrate me and ACC is one of them.

In the infotainment system I have the distance set as very close and yesterday on the motorway it was leaving probably 100 metres between me and the car in front. Sometimes it would ease off the gas at 200 metres away. If I adjusted the distance on the wheel so the yellow line was as far away from the car as possible it would then get closer. But this should be the same setting as very close so why does it change? If you set yours to very close how far away from the car in front will it keep you? I've tried a few times now and it still doesn't work as I'd expect. For me very close should be the minimum 2 second distance on the motorway, not so far away you struggle to read the number plate. :ROFLMAO:

I think it might have to go back to be recalibrated unless there's something I can try at home. I did try to search but I struggled to find my actual issue.
2 seconds at 70mph is 210 feet - 70 yards. That's over 3x the distance at which legally you should be able to read a numberplate.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
I don't recognize any of the issues with ACC in my VZ Hybrid. ACC distance is pretty consistent, hasn't given me any surprises or annoyances yet.
Might be because my car is LHD? Some has mentioned RHD being a potential cause for ACC issues.

The line indicator to set distance does seem to be backwards though. I just set it close to longest distance and that's it. Adjust with the throttle if slowing down is too aggressive, e.g. when people cut in front of you.

Reactions: Hizzards

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Half the problem with overtaking on a motorway is anticipating when the ACC will slow down to match the speed of the slower car in front. I'm getting better at anticipating, then indicating and pulling out to overtake before the ACC slows the car down. And even if it has started to slow, indicating makes it regain speed even before you've changed into the overtaking lane.

I wonder if the lack of indication is the root cause of the 'RHD undertaking' issue....

Reactions: Ninjakebab

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
No - because it still does it if you are in the middle lane and come up to pass vehicles in the left lane.
Mine has done it a couple of times in 2 months, certainly not often enough to be a deliberately included (for LHD) in the code, when you'd therefore assume it would do it all the time. I'm still on 1804 too.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Mine has done it a couple of times in 2 months, certainly not often enough to be a deliberately included (for LHD) in the code, when you'd therefore assume it would do it all the time. I'm still on 1804 too.
Mine is hit and miss - and that is why it is frustrating.
If it always did it - that I would be ready for
if it never did it - wouldnt be a problem
the issue is I never know when it will or wont do it.

The fact that it can be switched off with OBDeleven says it is a software glitch

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
The undertaking issue.

BUT

I also have the standard cruise control option activated so I can now choose between Speed Limiter, Cruise Control or ACC
So (just out of curiosity) how do you activate the standard cruise control (I mean on the steering wheel to use, not get it switched on in the system)?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
So (just out of curiosity) how do you activate the standard cruise control (I mean on the steering wheel to use, not get it switched on in the system)?

Press the button to the right of activate ACC and a menu will come up offering Speed limiter or ACC

After it is enabled in the system. - the same menu offers Speed Limiter, Cruise control or ACC

Reactions: dashnine
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise