question about being names driver on policy??

madmatt1

Oct 22, 2006
What it is im gonna be a named driver on me step dads insurance,question is when it comes to taxing the thing will it have to be my step dad who has to provide the documents ? its been so long since i had a car cant remember what documents u need to tax it lol,is it logg book? if so think it has to be in his name which makesit awkward as he never keeps his documents in place,or is there a way i can tax it myself? cheers

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
You need proof of insurance, valid MOT and thats about it. Anyone can tax it so long as it is insured by someone and is road worthy.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
If you haven't got the renewal, you need the V5 to tax it....

but none of it needs to be in the same name (or yours)

madmatt1

Oct 22, 2006
what i mean is because im not the main driver on the policy only the named driver can i still walk into the post office with a mot and the insurance certificate showing im the named driver to tax it?? cheers

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
mines all in my name V5,insurance and mot is in car details of course

i send my mrs in to tax mine :)

madmatt1

Oct 22, 2006
do u need the logg book to tax it also? god im sounding old now lol has been a while

madmatt1

Oct 22, 2006
i will have the renewal next april just wondering as im on the policy but logg book in step dads name if i can tax it,got me answers now,cheers peeps

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Just do it online. They will have a record showing it has valid insurance/MOT so you don't need to find the documents or go to the post office. All the details you need will be on the renewal notice.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Why are you going on as a named driver? And not the main driver, the insurance will prove cheaper in the long run, if you insure yourself.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.