Radio coding

TDI Powerrr

Last week I had a starter motor problem where the wires pulled themselves free from the waterproof terminal, so i disconnected the battery, took battery out to gain access to the wires.
Striped plastic back re-wired etc, jobs was a good'un, turned on the radio and it asked for the code. I put in what i thought it was, i was wrong :redface:
Found the correct code, tapped it in, thinking when i did all 4 numbers it would start up straight away without needing to press "enter" or whatever, but it didn't.
So now it won't do anything, it just says "SAFE" and what ever buttons i press (and ive tried all of um) nothing takes me back to the code entry bit. So i disconnected the battery and left the car for a couple of hours in the hope that it would allow me to type the code in again. It didn't.
The miles and trip computer were reset, but the radio is still saying SAFE and all i have to listen to when i drive to work is diesel!

Any suggestions, i'm reluctant to take it to a stealership cus they may go, "ah no we cant look at it now we'll book you in" and then charge me the earth.

Thank you plz

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is this not one of these situations where you have accidentaly exceeded the allowed number of attempts, so now you might need to drive with the radio powered on for a few hours before you can next attempt any more code entering.

TDI Powerrr

Ahh possibly

Does anyone know how many hours of driving this is untill it resets?
Could i leave the ignition on for a couple of hours each night, will this count towards it or does the engine need to be running?

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
From my radio handbook.'New start up'.
If the radio is disconnected from the battery,and the coding was active,the set will be electronically blocked.

1) Switch on the set.'SAFE' is briefly displayed,and then '1000'.

2)Enter the code number.

3)Confirm the code number by pressing the SCAN key until you hear the confirmation signal and 'SAFE' is briefly displayed.Now the radio is in operation.

The waiting interval between tries of the code, is 1 hour(the radio needs to be switched on).

This info is from the 'Radio ALANA' handbook.

If you have to go to the dealer,i very much doubt they'd charge you,probably take them 2 mins while you wait.:happy:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members