Radio upgrade - Ibiza Copa

Aug 21, 2020
Just looking to find out if anyone has upgraded their radio and can give me some advice on what radio they purchased as I want it to fit the fascia.

Looking pref for a double din radio.

Thanks

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
Oddsy,

I've got a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB fitted in mine.

It laregely depends on your budget, what you want/need from a Head Unit and how much you're able to do yourself. I can tell you from experience (as I'm sure others will) that putting a double DIN unit in any Ibiza can be a real pain.

That being said, I'm very happy with mine and it was worth the hassle.

Attachments

• 20200322_145002.jpg
    20200322_145002.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 636
  • 20200322_144956.jpg
    20200322_144956.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 20200322_144951.jpg
    20200322_144951.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 1,095
Aug 17, 2020
I've just put a JCV M750DBT in mine which does pretty much everything I could want, but headunit choice is as AntMUK said, mostly about what you want from it.

To actually get it in the car you'll need a facia adaptor and a wiring harness adaptor, Connects2 do a set with everything you need for about £85: see here.

It's not that hard to do, the only issue I had was the switched live. For some reason, both red and yellow wires on the standard harness were permanent live feeds so I had to run the switched live from the cigarette lighter to get the head unit to turn on/off with the ignition. Not too tricky, but it depends on your confidence with wiring. The head unit I got is half the depth of normal so there's loads of space behind to fit all the wiring stuff.

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
I'd add to this, if you can, get the steering wheel control adapter from Connects2

This lets you keep the use of your steering wheel controls (assuming you have them) with most aftermarket radio systems, and also avoids the issue Hill79 had with the ignition live; This adapter detects when the ignition is on via CANBus messages and generates an ignition only live, meaning you won't need to mess around with any extra wiring.

Reactions: Hill79
Nov 7, 2020
Bit late to the thread, but I have a similar issue and need a little advice! I bought a Sony XAV-AX5550D to be fitted in my ibiza. For my sins, I asked Halfords to fit it. I am into my classic cars mainly so mechanical work I can do, but electrics I can't. In short, Halfords refunded me for everything as they couldn't fit the fascia panel and the steering wheel controls would not work...

So I'm now guessing I need to fit it myself.

1. I've seen a few companies offering fascia panels - which is the *most likely* to fit. I know after market stuff rarely fits 100% so I expect some wriggling and fettling.
2. Steering wheel controls - If Halfords couldn't get them to work, has anyone else had any luck?

Cheers!

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
Bit late to the thread, but I have a similar issue and need a little advice! I bought a Sony XAV-AX5550D to be fitted in my ibiza. For my sins, I asked Halfords to fit it. I am into my classic cars mainly so mechanical work I can do, but electrics I can't. In short, Halfords refunded me for everything as they couldn't fit the fascia panel and the steering wheel controls would not work...

So I'm now guessing I need to fit it myself.

1. I've seen a few companies offering fascia panels - which is the *most likely* to fit. I know after market stuff rarely fits 100% so I expect some wriggling and fettling.
2. Steering wheel controls - If Halfords couldn't get them to work, has anyone else had any luck?

Cheers!

Jay,

I have my steering controls fully working and a fascia that fits, admittedly after a lot of trial and error.

What model do you have exactly, and what year, as it makes a big difference? I can then advise on what you'll need to get.

Nov 7, 2020
Hey there,

Right, it's good to know it can be done!

So I have a 1.4 11 plate Ibiza SC Chill - pre-facelift.

Thanks for the help! I was pretty gutted when Halfords said they couldn't do it as I know it can be done, tho in fairness to them they didn't want to do a half-arsed job.

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
Hey there,

Right, it's good to know it can be done!

So I have a 1.4 11 plate Ibiza SC Chill - pre-facelift.

Thanks for the help! I was pretty gutted when Halfords said they couldn't do it as I know it can be done, tho in fairness to them they didn't want to do a half-arsed job.

Jay, sorry for the Delay. been inactive for a while!

Did you get this sorted?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.