Rattling sound when changing gear

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Was pulling away yesterday and noticed a rattling sound when i depressed the clutch, drove home with the radio off and every time i pressed the clutch pedal down it made the same noise.

I noticed a knocking in the clutch pedal a few weeks back, that goes away when the clutch is down so i knew something wasn't right but I've never heard the noise as i usually have the radio on

It almost sounds like when you spin a bearing too fast, i thought it could it be part of the pressure plate? Other thought was the the flywheel assembly failing or the box itself :cry:

I need to get a service and cam belt done at the end of the month so i was going to get it looked at then but now i'm starting to wonder if i should get it sorted a bit sharpish before something nasty happens?

Its an 05 Altea with a 2.0TDI and 6 speed box, it was part of a recall for the DMF but dealer says it was checked before i bought the car :think:

Anyone got any ideas?

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
I get this when I dip the clutch whilst moving. From the posts of here, a lot of people say it's a mount, sometimes the dogbone mount. It's like a clunk clunk clunk.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Its not so much of a clunk but a high frequency rattle. I had a longish drive yesterday and it seems to be a bit quieter, not sure there actually is a problem now or not. I'll get it checked when its serviced etc just to make sure

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I'm confident when i say its not coming from the head, its more than likely the thrust bearing or similar in the gearbox/clutch assembly

It seems to be ok at the moment, i'm gonna book my car in for its service etc next month so i'll see what they say about it

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.