Rear Light Assembly

Jun 19, 2020
I need to replace my rear light assembly however I can’t get the electrical connector out. Is there a trick to it or am I being thick? It will not budge!
If there are any videos or pictures that would be helpful!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe a completely duff answer here, and if so sorry, but on my wife's 2015 VW Polo, the connector for the rear clusters has a lock/latch bar, and it is coloured reddish, if your connector has that, lever it out slightly with a screwdriver and the connector will unplug.

Vaios_Greece

Jun 11, 2020
I need to replace my rear light assembly however I can’t get the electrical connector out. Is there a trick to it or am I being thick? It will not budge!
If there are any videos or pictures that would be helpful!

Good morning. If your fingers are thick , you 'll find it kind of difficult to unplug it. You'll need to press it towards the inside and at the same time pull it. hope this video helps my friend ...............>

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, SEAT even on this version of Leon are still using the old type of connectors, I've bought a tool to release them, but yes with that type of connector that has a built in "rubber" sealing ring, always push them further home before trying to release the latch.
Now how anyone is expected to get their hand through these small openings in the trim and be able to unscrew these retaining screws, especially the ones that have a built in spring is anyone's guess - though it is possible but very annoying!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Now how anyone is expected to get their hand through these small openings in the trim and be able to unscrew these retaining screws...

You're not supposed to unscrew them by hand. It's designed to take a 1/2'' square socket bar, something found in any socket set.

Reactions: Walone

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You're not supposed to unscrew them by hand. It's designed to take a 1/2'' square socket bar, something found in any socket set.

Well obviously different in 2015 VW Polos as while they have an almost hex end, they also have 2 wings to let you unwind them and these 2 wings block good access to the almost hex head on the end - using long nosed mole grips is as good as it gets for that car.

Edit:- all the VW and Audi cars I've owned except that Polo have had these openings and it was possible to reach the securing bolts through the limited openings.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.