Rear window stickers warning

Branta

Feb 22, 2015
Nottinghamshire
If this had got to court then I think that they were doomed anyway, just quoting the handbook's advice about no stickers should have been enough.

Nevertheless at a technical level I'm puzzled that the fault you reported (interaction between heated read window and radio reception) could be caused by damage inflicted at removal of the sticker. The aerial and the heater tracks do seem to be separate circuits, so damage to the tracks of either would cause a problem in that area, but not interaction. Unless the glue remaining from the offending sticker left a conductive residue (which a good clean with Isopropyl Alcohol should sort out).

I'm assuming it's working well now. But do you know what they actually did to fix it ? Was the bill itemised ?

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
If this had got to court then I think that they were doomed anyway, just quoting the handbook's advice about no stickers should have been enough.

Nevertheless at a technical level I'm puzzled that the fault you reported (interaction between heated read window and radio reception) could be caused by damage inflicted at removal of the sticker. The aerial and the heater tracks do seem to be separate circuits, so damage to the tracks of either would cause a problem in that area, but not interaction. Unless the glue remaining from the offending sticker left a conductive residue (which a good clean with Isopropyl Alcohol should sort out).

I'm assuming it's working well now. But do you know what they actually did to fix it ? Was the bill itemised ?

The same garage broke mine too but this time with a repair job on the additional brake light where they decided to remove it from the inside (1.5 hrs involving trim removal) instead of the outside (10 mins). Only noticed recently in damp conditions. Repaired with Loctite silver conducting paint. Works fine but cost £15 from France. Not available in UK.

Conclusion: never had this on any car ever before and so think that the heating/radio wires are not that well protected by the surface film.

Branta

Feb 22, 2015
Nottinghamshire
So where is the aerial on an ST ?

I read this thread even before I ordered my ST. So my dealer (who doubtless has never accused anyone of damaging their aerial) got sick of hearing me remind him not to put a sticker in the back window.

I certainly noticed the aerial trace on the back window of a Leon (hatchback) in the showroom, indeed I pointed it out to the dealer on one of the occasions I told him not to put a sticker there. But now I have my sparkly new Leon ST (no sticker on collection !) I'm darned if I can see the aerial trace on the rear window. All of the tracks are wired together (i.e. all belong to the heater).

So where is it ? My first guess was the windscreen (where the dealer had placed a small sticker :rolleyes:), but I see no trace there. Then I guessed the spoiler above the rear window, but that's steel. No visible aerial on the fixed part of the sunroof either. Maybe the roof rails, which seem to have a thin piece of rubber insulating them from the roof, but running my hands over them whilst tuned to a weak FM station didn't have any effect.

The only place I can think it might be is the rear bumper, which is a vast expanse of plastic right around to each rear wheel. If I find my wife's aluminium cooking foil I guess I could wrap the bumper to test this theory :D

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I read this thread even before I ordered my ST. So my dealer (who doubtless has never accused anyone of damaging their aerial) got sick of hearing me remind him not to put a sticker in the back window.

I certainly noticed the aerial trace on the back window of a Leon (hatchback) in the showroom, indeed I pointed it out to the dealer on one of the occasions I told him not to put a sticker there. But now I have my sparkly new Leon ST (no sticker on collection !) I'm darned if I can see the aerial trace on the rear window. All of the tracks are wired together (i.e. all belong to the heater).

So where is it ? My first guess was the windscreen (where the dealer had placed a small sticker :rolleyes:), but I see no trace there. Then I guessed the spoiler above the rear window, but that's steel. No visible aerial on the fixed part of the sunroof either. Maybe the roof rails, which seem to have a thin piece of rubber insulating them from the roof, but running my hands over them whilst tuned to a weak FM station didn't have any effect.

The only place I can think it might be is the rear bumper, which is a vast expanse of plastic right around to each rear wheel. If I find my wife's aluminium cooking foil I guess I could wrap the bumper to test this theory :D

Side windows? ive seen aeriels embedded in those on on estates before

Branta

Feb 22, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Side windows? ive seen aeriels embedded in those on on estates before

Thanks, interesting idea, but I can't see it there. And they aren't exactly big side windows like on some estates. Ideal "unloaded" DAB aerial probably about 35cm, so maybe possible, but ideal FM aerial more like 75cm, so maybe not. I seem to recall the hatchback aerial has two traces (of different lengths, but connected together at the leadout) on the hatch window, so if the same solution were available I can't see why they would go for anything less. Unless they heard that stickers can cause problems :shrug:

By the way, the radio works fine. Maybe pulls just a few less stations than the wife's Polo (which has a stubby "loaded" aerial on the roof).

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
This is a warning to Leon owners and other makes and models with the aerial filament on the rear screen.

the handbook clearly says do not put stickers on rear window.

Hi. Sorry to drag up an old post, which page is this on please?

I had my car without a sticker but I notice today the same dealer has cars with it inside the rear window. I'm sure there was a post on here saying the dealers has all been sent instructions by SEAT not to but I can't find the post.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Care and Maintenance > Windows. p.233

The info is in the caution box.

Thanks but not in mine on that page. I have a manual from MY2015 so have looked again and found under the 'Advice' section and it has a caution box too. (P186) Nothing about radio but says about heating element and not applying stickers.:)

Last edited:

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Normally I'd be annoyed if something was missing from a new car, but in this case I'm delighted.

I bought my Leon from Arnold Clark and it was only when I got home I noticed there was no ugly bright yellow sticker on the back window.

Result! Big thanks to the person who forgot!

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
That's where I bought my Leon from. I removed the sticker too and funnily enough have been having radio issues (FM only as no DAB fitted!) Strange!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise