Remap nightmare

RabReith89

Jul 7, 2009
Aberdeen, Scotland
Well had my car revo remaped the one you get for free for 5 hours, my cupra has had my engine light on for a few days now, not causeing any change in performance or driving.

So went in to check point today and got a free remap, befor i got it the guy did say about my engine light being on, so he did a check found five miner faults. He said there not a big deal then he erased them then carryed on whit the remap. When i left check point the car was flying, anyway got about 5miles then the car started to jutter then lost all power then started to run very lumpy??

Went bk and the guy said that the revo could be making the faults worse and that he would take revo off and see if this helps, well it never was still the same ****. he then went on to tell me that the car was in limp mode??? He then said to be honest whit u i should of told u to get the faults fixed 1st befor the remap, If i knew this i would have never gotton it done 1st. One of the other guys that works there was telling me befor the remap that revo might not let them map it as they dont reason being that the engine light was on. They cant fix it as they dont have a mechanic and that i will have to pay for a other garage to fix it, will i ****.

So basic i have been made a fool ov. so gonna get on the phone to the manager of check point and get them to pay for the fixin bills, if they dont do it then i phone revo and tell them what kind of **** this place is running

Last edited:

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
spot on mate,speak to the guys that did it first and try and get your problems resolved and if they won't do it then take it to Revo.

The management light can come on for various reasons so it depends on that specific problem...the lumpy bit sounds like a coil pack to me but that's not knowing whats happening exactly!

RabReith89

Jul 7, 2009
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yea he printed out the 5 faults for me but left them at my girls house will put them up the morn.

The thing is that my car was fine till i put it in for the revo map, besides the engine light which was not causeing any problem. Now dont get me wrong revo are really good but this puddin that is workin at check point should have knew that this could have led to more problems. At the end of the day am not a mechanic.

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Having the map put on will only stress weak parts that might have been on their way out. Add that to the more boost being run and results is a weak component breaking. Does sound like a coil pack though!

dub_dan

I had this on mine, 5 hour free trail then about 3 hours in it went very lumpy sounded like i was hitting the rev limiter at 3k but no 2 coil packs went down on the m25 [:@]. Four new coil packs and plugs later back to normal.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
You had the option not to go through with the Free remap knowing the faults, but you went ahead with it.

Sounds like a coil, and as said, a remap will put extra stress on the engine, so that anything that was thinking of failing, will be pushed to do it earlier.

Not a Revo issue, as this may have happened at the same point without the remap.

dub_dan

Mine was not down to the software but faulty components the software just help highlight them.

ibiza 22

when i first had car remaped same sort of simtums where occuring to me it was n75 valve hope this helps pal:)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Mine was not down to the software but faulty components the software just help highlight them.

Exactly! The software is 'good', but the problem is the hardware it's installed on in the OP's instance.

That said anyone with half a mind should be able to roughly diagnose it.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
post the fault codes..
if anything to do with MAF, it should'nt be flashed..

coil packs failing under the extra boost is simply showing your coil packs are failing anyhow..
remember boost is over doubled after remap, so a weak spark on 5psi is probably enough to work (not effeciently however!!) but 15psi it will blow the weak spark out = misfire.

Its common..
thank VAG for poor components like coil packs and MAF's

The code works, the car has issues, and the guy flashing it has'nt been very good

RabReith89

Jul 7, 2009
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hay guys, my cupra has just came out of the garage today every thing is fixed as far as i know, it was one of the coils.

As i said if anyone read my 1st post i do not blame the revo software, i blame the tech guy for not doing his job. He should have know this could have done this. As for forbez u said that i had a choice... wrong the map was already done when he came out to me whit the five faults.

Thanks for helping guys, This issue has not put me off from getting my car revo remaped but it has put me off from getting it done from checkpoint!!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Good!

Seems strange that with a vagcom scan he could have told you it was just a coilpack... saved a lot of bother!!

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
well no the map didn't cost you that...your car had faulty parts that were highlighted by the map.

However who the fk charged you £120 for a coil pack!?!?! It costs £30 MAX for the part and about 3 mins labour

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.